hdchant
Newly Registered

which roses

Hi All,

I moved from San Diego to Central MN. (I know...WHY??) It is a beautiful place to live, but I know nothing about what grows up here and what I want to plant. The thing that I miss the most are my roses.

Are there any winter hardy roses that will compare to Mr. Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth, Blue Girl, Miss All American Beauty and the likes.

I know that there are new hybrids coming out all the time. It seems to me that Canada should have roses, wouldn't you think??

Thank you,
Howard

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And indeed from Canada comes your best bet. The Explorer Series roses are crossed with rugosa rose for hardiness but they're available in many colors, not just the pink and white flavors of straight rugosas. Look for Names like Thomas Lipton, Henry Hudson, Charles Albanel, and my favorite William Baffin.

Janet

I have climbing roses and they are growing straight up with one stalk, I am getting some blooms.My main question, is there a way to cut or prune my roses this time a new year, and will they get fuller if I do??

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Janet,

This is not the time of year for hard pruning roses, and with climbers you don't want to knock down that leader until it's at the height you want it. If it is, you could trace the leader back to the first full (five lobed) leaf and cut there. Just stopping that top growing point shoul be enough to get some new canes started at the base. Less nitrogen (first #) and more phosphorus and potassium (second and third #'s) in the fertilizer should help too...

Scott

Hi Howard,

I am new on this forum, I live in Montreal Canada, zone 5 b canadian zone ( 4 USA zone )

In my garden, I have many Hybrid tea roses . I planted them with the bud union 2 inches under the the soil level and for the winter I protect them with a sheet made of Styrofoam covered with an opaque white plastic.
Most of my roses are grafted on seedling multiflora understock, , multiflora rootstock works well in Canada, some of my roses are own roots and they grow very well.

Explorer's and Parkland roses bred by Agriculture Canada are roses that do not need winter protection.

In my garden I have Winnipeg Park, a nice red rose, good repeat and Morden Centennial. ( Parkland serie )

At the Montreal Botanical Garden they have many Buck Roses and Old Garden Roses they survived without any protection except snow.

The photo I joined is not Winnipeg Park but Morden Centennial, sorry..

https://site.voila.fr/jardindemichelle/MordC_fleur_03.jpg

another one of Morden Centennial.

https://site.voila.fr/jardindemichelle/MordenC_massif_03.jpg

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Wow

Thanks for all the links and pictures; Howard got more info on hardy roses than I could have dug up in a week...

Thanks again

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”