coreywoo
Newly Registered

Please help me restore these roses!

Hey everybody, thanks so much for taking the time to read my post..

I just recently started working at a care home and noticed a number of ivy-ridden rose bushes. After removing 2 garbage cans full of ivy I uncovered these beauties!

Unfortunately, I know very little about gardening and even less about pruning rose bushes.

If anybody could be so kind as to perhaps show me where these should be cut to maximize rose production, I would be forever grateful!

It appears they've been pruned several times, but I'm not sure if it was done correctly. I have the tools to remove small/large portions so if you have a moment, please make me a cut map or something of the sort? Thanks!
Attachments
20160723_110725.jpg
20160723_110713.jpg
20160723_110700.jpg
20160723_110652.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Refresh bark mulch. Water at least weekly.

coreywoo
Newly Registered

ok! There is currently lava rock.. I plan to remove the remaining ivy & weeds soon. should I remove the lava rock and replace it with bark mulch??? Also can you give me some advice on how to prune them?
Thanks so much for your advice!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I prefer the look of organic mulch to the one of lava rock or other rocks. The other rock can also absorb heat and slowly release it at night so, it has not attracted me as that can keep the heat stress on some plants into the night. But, some people do like the "look" so it would be up to you.

The plants look like they have lost their leaves, maybe due to black spot so consider doing something about that this growing season or in Spring. The mulch will help the dryness but you need to make sure the sprinkler, drip irrigation or manual waterings will be set up to provide water as consistently as you can. Water the soil early in the mornings. Try not to water the leaves if you can.

I would not prune now (mid-Summer). I prefer to do that in late Winter or early Spring before new growth appears. But you could prune to get rid of dead wood. It is also way too hot to be wanting flowers; even roses need a break when it is hot and I typically notice that they do take a break from blooming now.

The first shrub looks like a Carpet Rose that I also have. I try to keep it at 6-12" in early Spring. The others that bloom thru all the growing season, I prune down by a 1/3 but that is not written in stone. Review dead branches, branches that cross and rub each other, and assess the overall look from several angles. Then prune as you deem best.

I would also not fertilize now. Again, it is too hot. Once temperatures come down, you can try for one last flush of blooms but quit as soon as possible so the plant will start to get ready for winter (meaning, you do not want it in "grow" mode then because of the fertilizers).

imafan26
Mod

It would be o.k. to prune out the dead wood. When pruning always make sure your tools are clean and sharp. You can spray the blade with alcohol between cuts or flame the blades to kill bacteria and viruses. When you do cut the roses always cut down to an outward facing 5 leaf node, you would prune out deadwood, crossing and rubbing branches and branches growing toward the center of the plant. I think it probably is leggy because the ivy blocked it from the light. Rock mulch is fine, you can use what you have got. For now, just keep the weeds off of it. I agree while light pruning is ok to remove dead wood and old flowers it is better to save the major pruning until the fall or late winter. It depends on where you live. During the active growing and blooming season I fertilize roses after every bloom cycle which is about every six weeks or so. However, I live in Hawaii, so I can have roses blooming on Christmas day, so I just have to pick a time usually around January to do the pruning down to the 5 strongest canes. My roses don't really go dormant on their own. Roses are heavy feeders and prone to many pests and disease. I like to use rose care 2 in 1 during the rainy season because it is hard to keep up with the fungal sprays when it rains almost every day to control disease. I usually feed the roses a slow release + fast release fertilizer after each bloom cycle.

applestar
Mod

I think easiest and safest place to start is by deadheading the spent blossoms. You have to get down to a healthy 5-leaf node below the flower after the petsls have dropped. This ensures strong new growth. As you do this, you'll become more familiar with the structure of these bushes, as well.

It's hard to tell on the red flowered ones, but I tried to indicate where they are on the yellow flowered one because the 5-leafs are located pretty far below the flower clusters, more than you might think.
image.png
See if you can find similar places to cut on the other ones. You can post closeup photos if you need more details. Someone may be able to tell you where to cut when there ARE no leaves to indicate the correct location, too.

I would also use alcohol sprays on the pruner blades and thicker cuts -- I just fill a small travel atomizer with 90% rubbing alcohol.

Return to “Rose Forum”