Leslie
Newly Registered

Should I dig my rose bush out?

I have had 3 roses for almost 25 years. One was completely dead this year and I dug it out. The other two have had some flowers but at the beginning of the season, the leaves looked all brown and depleted. I am thinking of keeping my JFK but my Tropicana I am not sure if it should come out. Part of it has gone wild and just produces lengthy 8 leave clusters prolifically. The center part of the rest of the rose is very dead wood. There are a few new canes producing some leaves and some very small flowers. Can I just cut out the wild portion without harming the other part? Have had rose bore problem and last few years have had Japanese Beetle problem. Is this rose able to be saved. I live outside of Chicago IL USA area.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Yes, cut the wild canes just like you would cut off suckers off a peach tree. If you do not want the plant any longer, get rid of it and use the space for something new/else. Or offer it for free to gardening clubs or whomever wants it. Just mention that they have to dig it up themselves (that will be their price). And be present when they are working to make sure nothing else is harmed.

Return to “Rose Forum”