Lunaurah
Newly Registered

New home has rose bushes. Help!!

Hello!

My husband and bought our first home and moved in just this weekend. Now that we have settled in I have finally had a chance to pay attention to our front garden and to my surprise we have roses! I am absolutely thrilled to realize this! I am biased towards the flower [My middle name is Rose] and so I have always considered trying to tend to my own someday. While this is very exciting to me there are some snags. Firstly I am young and have no gardening experience when it comes to flowers. My mother never kept gardens and my grandmother preferred vegetables to flowers. I have absolutely no hands on experience with flowers aside from watering them for family members on vacations. Beyond knowing that roses require trimming to reach their best potential, I know nothing on how to best take care of them. I also lack the knowledge of what KIND of roses I have. I do have pictures which you can find below.

As far as the roses themselves go, there are three bushes. The bush on the left is a delicate looking pink rose. The bush in the middle is a very full and lush red rose. The bush on the right only has one single bud that is starting to open, and is currently yellow. Whether or not it will stay yellow is unknown to me. I assume this one is also roses since the bud, and leaves are just like you would see on other roses. The pink and red bushes have the "generic" looking rose thorns that most people are familiar with. The yellow bush has many smaller thorns. Unfortunately all three bushes look poorly taken care of. The previous owners of the home did not take very good care of the inside of the house so it would make sense to me that they would not have tended their garden at all. The garden itself is starting to be overrun by clover, and badly needs to be given some TLC. The rose bushes themselves don't look like they have been properly trimmed in at least a very long time. Both the pink and red bushes have a few very long branches and all three of them are very wiry. Their leaves are also yellowing and have some dark spots on them. I am concerned they might be in poor health. We live in a rainy state [Very rarely will you see snow in winter, generally just more rain. If there is snow it will melt within a few hours and you wont see it again], but it has been hot and sunny the past few days, and the roses are in the sun for most of the day. I did give them some water today but I am not sure how much they need so I did not give them a lot. The yellow bush is small and some of the leaves are reddish, so I'm not sure if it was trimmed at some point or if it is a newer bush. I think the previous owners did some changes to the garden before selling the house to make it look nicer, so it's possible it's a new plant. They might even all be new-ish. Unfortunately I don't know. I do know the previous owners were not the kinds of people to take care of a garden, so it would explain why they don't look like they are doing the best.

I don't have the first clue on how to properly take care of them and am way over my head but I have a lot of determination to take care of them and make them as beautiful as I can! I really hope they are in good enough shape for that to happen. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or good information for a first time gardener on how to approach beginning to take care of my roses from the state they are in right now? Also any personal preferences for taking care of them such as mulch and rose food. Those sorts of things. I would appreciate any help/info at all!

Pictures:
Red:
-----------
Pink:
-----------
Yellow:
-----------
Overview:

Return to “Rose Forum”