TigrLilyz
Newly Registered

Rose/gardening newbie - Question re: pruning/hacking in NoCO

Hi everyone!

I have been living in a rental in northern Colorado for the last year and a half or so. I have two rose bushes in front of a living room window. I have never done anything with them or to them, and I have lived there since August 2014. I don't know what variety they are, but they grew very tall and spindly this past summer. My landlord wanted me to trim them back, but everything I read said that I should wait until spring to prune them so that the cold doesn't kill them during winter. The problem is that we're getting new windows installed today and apparently one of the installers got mad at a rose bush and cut off some of the canes - I'm not sure how much he cut off though (I haven't been home yet, my roommate told me about the incident). Should I go buy some glue and cover the cut and hope for the best, and still try to prune in late April/early May? I'm trying not to kill them. Also, we have bindweed (which I think is the same thing as wild morning glory, but I could be wrong) that grows all around the roses... Will it kill them? Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

-TigrLilyz

TigrLilyz
Newly Registered

Thank you very much!!!

imafan26
Mod

Also make sure the cuts are about a quarter inch above a node or you will get some dieback. I use pruning paint on cuts over 1/2 inch but I have a problem with dieback in a humid climate.
Don't use roundup near the roses. Round up will translocate and can kill the roses. Follow the bindweed to the base. If it is at least three feet from the rose it may be ok to use the round up. Any closer you have to pull it. Bind weed will come back if any of the root is left. you can put down some weed block around the roses after pulling all the weeds you can and put mulch on top of that to try to keep the weeds down.

TigrLilyz
Newly Registered

Thanks again! Stupid question - if it has a hole in the middle (like it has been hollowed out), is that dead wood, and if it's solid in the middle, that's living? It was too late when I got home tonight to do anything, but I will do it tomorrow for sure.

Return to “Rose Forum”