imafan26
Mod

Finally got some roses to root

It took about 6 weeks but I finally tried the baggie method and after trial and error I figured out how to bag it so that I did not have to water it much.

I got a couple of green roses and some baby blanket landscape roses to root but still have 100% failure rate on rooting hybrid tea rose (Mr. Lincoln)

I have made more cutting and I am using potting soil instead of perlite this time and see how that works out. I had to cut down Mr. Lincoln for the annual pruning so I am trying to root the canes again.

The sun is mild this time of the year and it has been raining almost everyday so I potted up the rooted cuttings but them on the nursery bench. I hope it won't be too much sun. They had good light but not direct sun on the table on the lanai. I will find out in a few days I guess. I may actually have to replace some roses this year. Most of my roses are pretty old between 8 and 24 years old. I guess it is time for some new ones. I think I lost Gertrude Jekyll this time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:clap: :clap:

I have never propagated roses, so I don't know. Will they root by layering (where you bend a stem down to the ground and bury it)? Will they root by air layering (cut away a little section of bark, put rooting hormone on it, wrap it with growing medium and then bag it)?

imafan26
Mod

I have had root stock, landscape and ramblers travel and pop up a few feet away so I guess it can be layered. I have not tried to air layer hybrid tea roses. I would be afraid to since roses have such a penchant for fungal and bacterial diseases, I don't like to damage canes.

I cannot layer the tea roses because by their very nature, they grow upright and the tops of a 6 ft rose won't get close to the ground. I even use pruning paint on the cuts that are more than 1/4 inch because it was recommended by J&P when I called the rose hotline because I kept losing canes to dieback. It works well. I have lost fewer canes since I started doing that and I now have old roses. Before, I lost so many canes to dieback, I had to replace roses every two or three years. My climate is too humid and it rains every night so the canes did not have the time to callus off before they would start rotting.

Return to “Rose Forum”