cardiffgardens

What roses do I have?

I have about 6 or 7 of these Rose bushes in my yard.. Are they knockouts?

Also.. Should I clip the flowers one they start to wither? or just let them fall off and die.

Thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0333.jpg

imafan26
Mod

If they are newer roses and they were patented they should have tags on them that say what they are.

When you do your photos. Take a close up of the rose bud and open rose against a white background also a photo of the leaf. Describe the scent. Some of the newer roses do not have any scent and scents vary with the different roses.

They are blooming in clusters so they are not hybrid teas. I think they are either floribunda or grandiflora. Grandiflora would have larger blooms approaching the size of a tea. Floribunda roses are mostly in the 3 to 3-1/2 inch range.
Also check the petal count. From the way it opens I think they have low petal counts.

cardiffgardens

Here are the blooms.
Attachments
IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg

cardiffgardens

"Proper Pruning?" I usually wack it down with shears in the fall.

cardiffgardens

Ive been using Bayer Rose & Flower Care.. They were INFESTED with Japanese beetles last year. I put the fertilizer down in early April, and again a week or so ago.. Not one sign of bugs...

imafan26
Mod

Bayer sytemic all in one rose and flower control contains Imidacloprid and tebuconazole.

Imidacloprid stops the sucking and chewing insects and the tebuconazole is a fungicide. It works well and lasts about 6 weeks.

I use it only when I cannot control the issues any other way.

Certain times of the year in the rainy season, I would have to spray the roses every week with sulfur to control the blackspot and mildew. I don't have a lot of sucking pests on the roses because I have a streetlight and I have under planted the roses to attract beneficial insects.

I still have to use the systemic rose care on my potted hibiscus to control erineum mites. But I switched from Bayer tree and shrub which persists for a year to systemic rose care which only lasts 6 weeks. During that time, I do have to disbud the hibiscus and anything near it.

Imidacloprid is very harmful to beneficial insects and bees and that is why I only use it as a last resort. I disbud the flowers while the chemical is active in order to minimize the impact on the bees and I don't spray every plant, just the hibiscus and it is in a pot that I can isolate to lessen the impact on the beneficial insects.

Actually, pruning the roses after each bloom cycle will open up the plant more and make them less prone to fungal issues and the flowers will be larger if you cut out the twiggy growth and new stems come from thicker branches.

If you buy more roses, get roses that have glossy leaves, they do better against fungal disease than the matte leaves.

Return to “Rose Forum”