dmcgraw1357
Newly Registered

Desert Rose has brown burnt like tips on leaves

Just got a Desert Rose. The nursery was unable to provide information on care. I have done the basic research for watering, light, fertilizing, but struggling to find anything definitive about how to care for the browning leaves. Have done extensive search for any sign of pests, rooting, but not seeing anything. Can I trim just the brown off or should I cut off entire leaf? The new growth is starting to brown as well. Do I need to prune the stems? Could it be potting issue?
I apologize for all the questions :oops: just new to working with more difficult plants and really want to see my Desert Rose thrive! I have uploaded a couple of pictures to references.
Thanks for any and all help provided!
Attachments
WIN_20150511_081603.JPG
WIN_20150511_081912.JPG

imafan26
Mod

My guess, it may be too much water.

Desert roses, especially once the base has started to swell need very little water. If they are indoors they will dry even slower.

You can repot the desert rose. Check the roots for rot especially at the base. Cut out dead spots if it is at the root tips. if the base is in trouble, you may have to try to save the top.

If the base is still firm. Plant the desert rose in pea gravel or cinder. Larger stones are better as they have more air space and trap less water. Do not use a larger pot, it likes to be pot bound.
Do not water the plant in the saucer, it will hold water. Pick up or weigh the pot after it is watered, when you think it is dry waid another day and weigh the plant again, after awhile you should be able to tell when the pot is dry just by its' weight.

dmcgraw1357
Newly Registered

So just leave the leafs alone? The base of is solid and firm. Thank you so much for the advise! It is really appreciated!

Return to “Rose Forum”