lillgardnr

fall rose care???

hi all....I'm new to rose care, and was just wondering if there was something I should do to the bushes I have now, to make them look better next year? :D
[/img][img]https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/nabes1/DSCF0015.jpg[/img]
well those are my sad roses, so as you can see any and all help is welcome...thanks :wink:

JPIXI

Hello lillgardnr,

Thank you for posting a picture to help us diagnose your rose's problem.

Very apparently your rose is planted with a lot of tall tress around that result your rose to be leggy and not so fantastic and big blooms as it diverts all it's energy to growth to reach out for light.

We can easily tell that the field is relatively dry with poor weak soil. You are lucky to have planted the rose near to a covered pathway(protection from sun) that helps to retain some moisture, making it a resrve of water for the rose.

I suggest you to choose a better location in Autumn for plant transfer, and do a medium trim. Another trim after the risk of frost in Spring again. Please do spend some effort in adjusting the soil composition in your transplanting.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

lillgardnr

your so right. they get very little sun....unfortunately I didnt get to pick where they were put because they were here before me....how deep do the roots usually go down? ....how hard Will it be to move them?

JPIXI

Hello lillgardnr,

It is difficult for me to tell you how deep the roots can go, as graft and non-grafted roses vary, and if it is grafted what porter is used.

Transplant is not too difficult. The best period to transplant is late Autumn, about a month or a month and half before the heavy cold, for the rose to adjust itself to it's new environment and has it roots well settled.

When you dig out the rose, try not to drag or pull out the plant, as this will heavily injure the plant. You can cut off those tiny roots off to facilitate the digging out of the rose, but try to keep the main or major roots intact.

After digging out the rose, soak the plant roots in water(preferable rain water) over night with some soil. Keep it's root about 15cm to 20cm long, and snap off the end of the roots to activate their growth during the cold season. Do remember to give the transplanted rose a good watering. This will allow the plant to have a rapid start in Spring.

Lightly trim the digged plant to about 30cm, and trim again to 16cm to 18cm to ground, just after the risk of frost in Spring to activate the growth.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

lillgardnr

thanks so much for the help.....I'll start next month :wink:

Return to “Rose Forum”