sheffys
Newly Registered

Tea Roses Not Growing To Well

Hi,
I planted twelve Tea roses four years ago in a new bed, I added lots of well rotted manure,and add manure every spring, but they do not appear to be doing very well,and suggestions appreciated. Paul.
Attachments
SAM_2271.JPG

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Too much manure? Too much can actually be very detrimental to your plants especially if it has not been rotted. Also you may need to add other nutrients beside manure as it is very high in nitrogen but not necessarily in potassium and phosphorus.

Other things; they need very well drained soil and regular water during the growing season - not dry but not wet. How heavy is your soil?

They need air flow and if they get fungal infections it can be detrimental. I spray with organic things like milk or neem to prevent that.

They obviously get sun by the photo. You garden is beautiful by the way.

sheffys
Newly Registered

Thank you that's very helpful,the manure is always well rotted and the drainage is good.Thank you for you compliment of the garden, it's four years old. That's when I started gardening, it is my neighbours garden (In their eighties) and was a jungle, so I sorted it for them. Paul.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

@Marlingardener Why do own-root roses do better there?

imafan26
Mod

I love hybrid teas for their shape, color and form. I have some roses that have been in the ground for a lot of years and primarily they are the ones grown on their own roots. Red simplicity, Baby Blanket, Green Rose,and an unknown baby red rose that I bought at Walmart. It started out in a 4 inch pot and now it runs wild in my yard with rambling branches 5-20 ft long. The longer lived of my hybrid teas are Queen Elizabeth, Proud Land, Mr Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial, and Peace. I also had iceberg which lasted awhile, I just did not like it.

Eventually, I do end up losing the canes of the hybrid teas and the root stock comes through if the rose does not die. The root stock is tough and disease resistant and very tall, one got up to 7 feet and still did not bloom. I used to replace a few hybrid teas every couple of years.

sheffys
Newly Registered

Hi,
Just to add that I am in the U.K. Paul.

sheffys
Newly Registered

sheffys wrote:Hi,
I planted twelve Tea roses four years ago in a new bed, I added lots of well rotted manure,and add manure every spring, but they do not appear to be doing very well,and suggestions appreciated. I am located in the U.K Paul.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If those rose bushes have been there for four years, they are definitely not doing very well. I would second the suggestions already - especially if you are in the UK, which I assume is a pretty damp climate, all that manure is likely too heavy and moisture holding. I would trowel in something to lighten the soil around them, such as perlite, coarse sand, granite grit, etc. Be very careful how often you water (you didn't say what you have been doing). And you didn't mention any other fertilizer besides the manure. Manure by itself is not a complete fertilizer.

I would look for a rose fertilizer. What you want is a good organic fertilizer that supplies not only NPK but the minor nutrients needed including Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sulfur (S), Boron (B), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), Manganese (Mn) and Zinc (Zn). Since Mg is important to roses, rose gardeners often apply Epsom salts in small quantity around the plants at the beginning of the season.

Return to “Rose Forum”