deeepak
Newly Registered

Need Help in identifying rose disease or deficiency

My rose plants do not appear to be normal. I think some kind of deficiency is there in the leaves.. please have a look on attached pictures.
IMG_20140506_153103.jpg
IMG_20140506_153145.jpg
IMG_20140506_153224.jpg

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi deee, Looks like rust, or early black spot. You can pick up some Actinovate, follow the directions, mix and spray, you can use a spray bottle if you have only a couple bushes. Clean up around the base of the plant, get rid of what you rake up, if there any very badly infected leaves remove them, burn or trash.

Those you show don't look that bad should be fine in about 7-10 days. Let us know what you do and how it come out. Good luck.

Richard

deeepak
Newly Registered

Hi valley

Thanks for replying..there is no rust symtomps like orange spores underneath the leaves.. can it be a viral disease?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, If you've checked the underside of the leaves and found no yellow tufts, you're right.
I don't suspect virus because of the pattern on the leaves. I would think a fungal problem.

The same treatment should help get rid of powdery mildew, rust, black spot, pythium, phytophthora, late blight, and other fungal diseases and concerns related to garden plants as they are almost always caused by over watering and/or damp conditions, top watering when followed by cold weather or kept damp at night, roots in soil that's too wet.

Cleaning under the plants, keeping the soil drier. The above conditions can be spread from plant to plant.

You are in the right place with this thread, let's wait to hear from those who surround themselves with Roses. We'll see if anyone comes up with virus, iron deficiency or one of the above.

Richard

deeepak
Newly Registered

Hi Richard

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I should have mentioned environment condition also:

At present my roses remains in sun from 11am-4pm and tempretaure is around 39-40 degrees celsius (ya I know temp remain quite high in my area during summer)
My roses are not in pots and I try to water them thrice in a week or when ever the surface of the soil appears to be dry. I also spray water on the leaves as summers are there.

I have applied only a small amount of granular fertilizer recently that contains (humic acid 39%,ascorbic acid 20%, Amino Acids 9%,Thiamine 2%,Alpha-tocopherol 1% ,basicaly a root stimulant)

As I commented earlier that residue or yellow tufts are not on the backside of new leaves so that there is no symtomps of rust. As shown in picture below :
IMG_20140507_090411.jpg
but I observed the backside of old leaves and found some residue please have a look on the pics:
IMG_20140507_090317.jpg
IMG_20140507_090249.jpg
IMG_20140507_090249.jpg
Notice small black holes in tje belo pic of underside leave
IMG_20140507_090352.jpg
the part of upper side of leave looks yellowish where there is these residue (white-pale yellow in color) on the backside of leaves.

About 2-3 months back there were yellow spider mites on my roses. but some how I managed to get rid off them :).

imafan26
Mod

It looks like a little sunburn to me. It is not bad though.

Are my eyes deceiving me what is the white stuff on the underside of the leaf? Does it come off? Is it sticky?

deeepak
Newly Registered

Hi imafan26

Thanks for replying

The white stuff does not come off. By first look it seems to become a part of the leaf.
Apart from the white stuf there are some pale yellow stuff is also there on underside of some leaves (IMG_20140507_090317.jpg)

When the new leaves comes, they have a cleaner back. but later some pale yellowish stuff appears and upper part of such leaves looks yellowish where there is these residue (pale yellow in color) on the backside of leaves

applestar
Mod

Hmm. I was going to say the mottled appearance of the underside of those last few leaves look like mites damage... Then you mentioned you did have mites earlier. Could they be coming back?

deeepak
Newly Registered

Hi applestar

Thanks for replying :)

No, spider mites are not there on my roses now. And also I read somewhere that mites prefer cold atmosphere but now its summer here.

as mentioned earlier the problem is visible in the fresh leaves also which has a clear backside.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Dee, it will really help people if you post your location information in your profile.

Return to “Rose Forum”