gmp
Cool Member

how can I save my rose! please help me

I got 5 stem cuttings from my father. I dipped it in the rooting powder and in just 3 days, I could see the results in two of the stems. It was growing nicely and I was so happy about it. But today when I saw that I could see the stem turning brown or black( I don't know what to say). It's 12 days old. What should I do now? Please help me. The black in one is more as u see in the picture1. The second one is also starting to become black. The second picture is the top part. Any advice on this is appreciated.
Attachments
91917809162c711867744147cd51000b.jpg
37873a341a74c503abb7e928c806b83d.jpg

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure what the issue might be. Is the soil too damp? Might be rot?

Does it get sun? Most of the work now is from stored energy but you might need some sun.

Hope it lives !! I got a pavement rose cutting that is third generation in the family and boy do I love it. Although this spring it was touch and go for a long time !!

gmp
Cool Member

Might be the dump soil. It is not in sun. I watered it a day before yesterday. But it was at night.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Water might be the issue.

Although they need to be moist. They need new water not stagnant. Stagnant may cause disease.

gmp
Cool Member

Tks a lot for your reply.

gmp
Cool Member

The left one has gone. I have tried cutting the second one again. Lets see.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

You know what I did to get a third generation rose from my parents is I dug up a few canes with roots and dirt. Flew them 2000km and dropped them in the dirt. This all happened in the fall an I now have the rose coming to life :)

gmp
Cool Member

thats great :D . Mine all gone :cry: .

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

They did not make it ?

gmp
Cool Member

yes. The entire stem became black and died.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cuttings are a little tricky, because they have no roots. So the leaves and plant quickly dry out without moisture, but the unrooted stem quickly rots if sitting in wet soil. What works for me is a mini greenhouse. Cut a 2 liter pop bottle in half cross ways. Put some damp potting soil in the bottom part (less than half actually) and plant your cutting, mist the leaves. Put the top half on and tape together. Leave it sealed, out of direct sun and do not water. If the leaves look like they are drying out, you can open it and mist the leaves more, but don't water. When it starts growing new leaves, you can take it out and transplant in to regular flower pot. Keep it damp but not wet and out of direct sun, until it is better established.

Return to “Rose Forum”