gmp
Cool Member

dying rose please help

Rose in my father's garden is drying suddenly, he has pruned it completely and now it is growing. Few days back it was good. But now the leaves are drying and the stem is dying. Don't know what happened. The rightmost stem is drying in the picture. Don't know what to do? Any advice on this is appreciated. Tks in advance
Attachments
368feb2a930ffbbfad89e7964d7add64.jpg

applestar
Mod

I am seeing what looks like galls -- knobby growths due to insect burrowing or bacterial infection -- or maybe canker on the stems.

gmp
Cool Member

Tks a lot for the replies. I am asking him to cut some more stems that cross each other. We are trying to making a shade since it is too windy also.
Apple star- please tell me how do you say that it may be galls. As I don't see one(I do agree, I have a limited knowledge in this). I also suspect stem canker / black spot???????

gmp
Cool Member

Could anyone please tell me which of these stems I should cut. Tks in advance

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Gall tumors are sometimes round & usually near the crown but your plant has some unusual stem growth at the end of pruned stems which may still be gall tumors. I think that is what applestar is referring to. Galls are caused by bacterial infections. If those are galls, consider using agents like Galltrol or Gallex:

https://agbiochem.com/images/Galltrol-Ga ... rganic.pdf

Prune away infected stems and canes and spray with A. radiobacter (spray the soil as well as these tumors also develop below the ground).

If you are not attached to the plant, it may be easier to sanitize by disposing of the plant (in the trash, not a compost pile) and sterilizing any instruments used (try a 10% bleach + water solution). Then dispose of the bacteria laden soil and put new soil in its place.

Note: the plant will not necessarily die from crown gall but will be weakened and have poor growth. Skin breaks probably allowed the bacteria to enter the plant.

Canker is a fungal infection and you can prune off the infected/darkened/purplish/black part of the stems. Cut about 2" below the infected area (approx.). Good sanitation techniques and pruning of stems that cross will help. Blackspot fungicides will also help with canker.

https://www.rosemagazine.com/articles04/rose_stem_canker

gmp
Cool Member

Tks a lot luis-pr, the things at the end of the stems are not galls. They are the wet cow manure that are used to cover the pruned ends to protect it from getting dried and also as a fungicide. The right most stem is the one in which blackspot can be deliberately seen. Please advice.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

That is the one that shows signs of canker at various points. I would cut it near the bottom of the picture, below the first cancker sign if looking at the stem from the bottom upwards.

gmp
Cool Member

Thanksa lot for all the replies. My father has cut the stems below the sign of canker. Lets see.

Return to “Rose Forum”