Foxheart
Newly Registered

Year Old Rose Cutting - Leaves Yellowing - Way to Save?

I am new to this site and I really need some help with my poor rose. My sweet boyfriend cut a rose from his garden and gave it to me. After a few days it died. I didn't think anything of it at first then when I went to throw it away I noticed the rose had grown roots. So I immediately planted it in a pot, and it started to grow really great. I have had it growing in my house under a grow light for about a year now. Well the last few days some of the leaves have started to turn yellow and others just brown. I really love this rose and would hate to see it die. I have never really grown a rose before so I really have no idea what I am doing wrong with it. Today I also noticed what seems to be fruit flies around it. Please if any one has any idea on what could be going on please let me know. I really would hate to lose my rose.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I usually treat those flies as I do ants, ie, not as the causal agent so I would look for reasons why the flies are attracted. The plant could be stressed so see if it is getting too much or too little water, fertilizer, etc. You can stop by a local nursery and get a kit that will let you analyze the soil pH and others that will let you know how the soil is doing with regards to nitrogen, phosphorus and pottasium. You can also determine if you are watering too much; water if the first few inches are dry only. While doing it, make sure that tyhe holes at the bottom of the pot are not clogged and that the plant is not root bound (roots are growing in a circle around the pot). Also look for insects, insect damage, larvae or eggs under the leaves (green and yellow ones) in case you have some insect infestation.

One last environmental reason: in most zones, roses in winter tend to loose some leaves by yellowing. If it is a few leaves only, do not worry as you will get new ones later on.

Return to “Rose Forum”