rose c.

dead looking branches

I have a rose bush in the front of my home . it was there before I moved here 17 years ago and so far I have taken good care of it. but this winter was very bad for us in nyc. the rose bush is a rambler . it has about 17 branches which look like dead wood. and below it has about 7-8 burgundy colored new growth. my question is should I cut off all the dead wood in order to let the new ones sprout out?????? or if I wait do you think this wood would spring to life? thank you rose c. nyc :cry:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Rose

First I'd check to see if the new canes are coming from above or below the bud union; above and it's your rambler coming back, below, and it's the root stock taking over for a dead top. Figure that out before you try and save a horrible old root like 'Dr. Huey' If it's your rambler, cut off all the old dead wood and start afresh...

Scott

rose c.

you for your help . the buds are coming from above the budunion so I think its my rambler coming back. I have cut off all the dead wood and lets see with this rain every other day its perfect. thank you rose c nyc

Return to “Rose Forum”