cacbeary

Planting Roses in Zone 6

I've been reading the FAQ's on planting roses but am still confused. I am planting my first bare root rose bushes. It gets cold here Zone 6 - I think down to -10 but that is not every year & only a few days.

How deep should I plant my rose bushes to protect them from the cold. Should it be level, 2 inches deeper??

Your help is greatly appreciated.

JPIXI

Hello cacbeary,

It is not advisable to plant any plants when there is frost. The hard cold ground will demage the roots and the plant will die. If you are unable to know when the cold weather will be over, keep the bareroot roses, in their poche, and put them in a cool place (to keep them asleep). Provide them some water, to keep them moist from time to time, but never wet their stem.

Always start a planting of new rose with a good size hole and depth. For hybrid, it is half a metre length,width and depth. Good composition of soil promise you better growth in the long run. A handful of bone meal, and espom salt will kick off the growth will resistance to diseases later.

The right level to plant the rose, is to have the graft union at the same level of the land, not too much lower, or too deep hidden in the soil.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Amitié,
Pixi

cacbeary

I'm sorry, I didn't explain things better.

I read if you live in a colder climate to plant lower (graft union). I want to know if Zone 6 a colder climate & do I need to plant lower.

Thanks.

JPIXI

Hello Cacbeary,

Planting the graft union at ground level is a rule for roses. If you plant the graft union too low into the ground or too high, it will promote the graftstock to take over the hybrid grafted on it.

Hope it helps, please do not hesitate to come back for clarification or help again.

Amitié,
Pixi

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D
Most roses are hardy. This means they can withstand temps to -15C.
Any lower and you would have to plant deeper.

cacbeary

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Rose Forum”