Jknocker
Newly Registered

Need help growing roses

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. My grandma's funeral is tomorrow and I would like to start a rose garden tomorrow in her memory. I would like to grow white or pink roses but I don't know anything about them. I've been told they don't have seeds and I have read that you can use a cutting. Can I take a cutting from a rose you get at a store and taking a cutting from it? Also please tell me what is needed to start. I would like to start them off inside and then build a small portable green house for them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your Grandmother. As to your questions about roses, I do grow them but really don't know much about them other than treating diseases and pests that do occasionally crop up and cutting them back in the late fall for better production in the spring.

I've always bought my roses at a garden center as bare root stock. I'll then dig a hole about 3 times the size of the roots, then add compost and some good potting soil to the soil I removed when making the hole. I'll mix this well and place the bush in the hole and back fill it with the soil mix to a point just below where the rose bush branches off in other limbs. Give it a good watering and keep it moist until it establishes. You'll see buds sprouting along the stems when it starts growing.

Stick around and someone will give you more info than I've given. I've never propagated roses by cuttings, only fig trees-----but that's not what you're looking for.

Also, it would help knowing where you are to see if it is even something you can do right now given your growing climate.

Jknocker
Newly Registered

I plan to grow indoors. but I live in southern Ontario. ill probably be growing in mirical grow or something similar store bought. I'm not sure on the temps

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Jknocker wrote:I plan to grow indoors. but I live in southern Ontario. ill probably be growing in mirical grow or something similar store bought. I'm not sure on the temps

I did a quick google check and there's tons of info on growing roses indoors. I have never given this a thought, but I do live in a much warmer climate than you do so it's never crossed my mind to attempt to grow them indoors.

Hopefully, you can find the info you need to make your attempt a success.

Jknocker
Newly Registered

gumbo2176 wrote:
Jknocker wrote:I plan to grow indoors. but I live in southern Ontario. ill probably be growing in mirical grow or something similar store bought. I'm not sure on the temps

I did a quick google check and there's tons of info on growing roses indoors. I have never given this a thought, but I do live in a much warmer climate than you do so it's never crossed my mind to attempt to grow them indoors.

Hopefully, you can find the info you need to make your attempt a success.
I've done some Google searching but I don't know how to start the roses. I mean I have been told they don't have seeds and that you can do it from a stem clipping. the only access to stems I have is cut roses at a flower shop.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can't get a florist's rose to grow, they have been cut for a long time and treated with preservatives etc. And to start a stem cutting, you don't use one that has flowered anyway, the flowering sapped the energy of the stem and it is not in a growth phase now.

If you are serious about doing this you really need to buy a rose plant.

It is difficult (not impossible) to grow roses indoors. They are full sun plants. The best ones to try growing indoors would be miniature roses, which are less demanding than the full sized ones. If you get a miniature rose plant and you have a good sunny window and/or add supplemental lighting, and you mist your plant frequently to combat the lack of humidity in winter heated houses, you would have a good chance of keeping it going through the winter.

You should be able to buy a plant for about $10:

https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 96841514-2

Return to “Rose Forum”