eklawun

Rose tree broke in wind; not dead?

We were out of town for fall break and when we returned, my beloved rose tree (might be a carpet rose trained up as a tree) was lying on the ground with its trunk cracked about in half. Strangely, there is no leaf wilting going on, just the latest buds are a bit droopy. Oh, and in the meantime (we were gone five days) a shoot has shot up next to the plant and is now maybe 12 inches tall...? So not knowing what else to do, I took some cloth bandaging tape out and bandaged the break and bandaged the top of the trunk to the existing support stake...
What should I do now? Is there something to apply to the wound/break and rebandage? Or do I need to just cut it all off below the break and see if it comes back smaller next spring? Or perhaps cut it off at the ground and let it start over if it wants to?
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!
Beth

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Standard rose trees are made up of three pieces: the rootstock, a long thick rose cane (the tree’s trunk) and the bush that blooms and has the leaves. All these parts are grafted on top of each other and make for an unstable shrub if planted where there is a lot of wind. It is usually recommended that standard rose trees be staked, not just for a while, but forever.

You have probably done all that needed to be done. I too would have used cloth or something else to “closeâ€

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Thank you for responding, luis pr. I have no experience with standard roses, only with bush and climbing types. I'm only sorry our member had to wait so long for a response.

Your advice is unfailingly useful. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

eklawun

Thanks so much for this response! As you see, it also took me quite a while to notice that a response had been posted. As of now (late November) the rose seems to be doing just fine. If it does fail after the winter, I will just plant something else in that spot. I wasn't thinking about wind at all when I planted it because I designed and put in the garden where there had previously only been lawn - and we had only lived here a short time. I appreciate the confirmation that the fabric bandaging tape was a good choice (and it does indeed seem to be holding up well) as well as the warning that the plant could still fail over the winter. If it survives I will be quite pleased, but if it doesn't at least I won't be surprised! Thanks again!

Return to “Rose Forum”