Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Moving to new house, old rose bush hedge needs help

Hi, Wanted to ask if I should put some manure, or just fresh topsoil at the bottom of the rose hedge, it definately needs help. But When?

I have no idea what kind they roses are? But obviously are some kind of old roses, as they have "very" prickly branches.

Would this care bother them, at this time of year? Don't want to get them growing, with winter coming.

Any ideas, on what I should put on them.....either in the spring or fall?

Thanks.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Because we are near the end of the growing season where you live, I would consider amending the soil with manure as one of next year's tasks. Instead, try these steps:

* you have a hardy rose but you want it to harden off for winter so do not fertilize starting in August. Next year, you can add manure, bone meal and/or cottonseed meal.

* To protect from your Chinooks and not spread fungal diseases, clean up fallen leaves and other plant debris around the shrub. Dispose in the trash this year but consider the compost pile (if you have one) should the plant show no fungal issues next year.

* Water the plant well (stop when the ground freezes) and, later on, apply snow around the base as if you were adding mulch. This will be a source of moisture during your drying Chinooks.

* Prune in early Spring to cut off areas that dried out during winter.

* add plenty of organic mulch now. Some people use manure and even compost for mulch over here but I am unsure if this will delay the plant from going dormant in late September. Manure and compost are considered fertilizers after all. They may be ok earlier in the growing season but now I would use typical mulches. Apply the mulch from the base outwards. Over here, I would add around 10cm of mulch up to the drip line (it won't hurt if you go past the drip line). In mid-winter, see if you need to add more mulch (if it has been dry and the winds spread the mulch away from the base of the plant).

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

luis_pr

Thank you for replying. :D

What I had thought was putting topsoil around the bottom of the whole hedge, on both sides?

Plus possibly putting wheat straw, on top of the soil. I had thought of putting manure, as well.

But now think that may make them think that it's time to grow again.

I think the soil and wheat straw would work, but, want to make sure it's ok?

The hedge has had nothing done with it in years, must be really tough type roses?

But I think this hedge "could" be beautiful with some care. Yes those chinooks are hard on plants. :(

What do you think of what I described above? Would that be OK for the Rose hedge?

Thanks. :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You could put topsoil but I find that the top soil sold here is mostly sand and contains very little organic material so compost or manure sounds better. Straw is fine provided it will not cause seeds to sprout and provided you do not have pests that will use the straw to hide (think voles and moles). Composted straw or Lucerne hay which comes from alfalfa will be fine. And yes, those are really tough roses all right!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

The soil here is good, so I think I will put some of that down, around the bottom of the hedge.

By spring I'll put lots of nice well rotted manure around the bottom,

hopefully should perk the hedge right up. It's had nothing done for it in years.

I will get all the old leaves raked away from the bottom, just in case of disease, too.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You're welcome. I hope you get many years off & blooms from that rose.

PS - Winter has not started over there yet or has it. I seem to remember a visit I paid to your region (flew to Calgary but stayed in Banff) and it was cold with no snow in the roads and the ground. It probably had to be in the Fall but it must have been over 10 years ago.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

No luckily Winter hasn't started, it's been really hot and sunny, but today it's cool and windy.

Ground isn't frozen. It's not allowed, until we get a bunch of work done at the new place, lol.

Hopefully won't have frozen ground until into November? At least we sure are hoping. :wink:

Return to “Rose Forum”