nakanj

watering knock outs

I have a hedge of knock out roses and they are developing black spots and the leaves are dying. I was told this was from too much watering causing a fungus. Is this true and if so how much should I water them?
:P

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Not knowing how you're watering them now, I'll just give the "usual" advice re. watering plants in an area where fungi like to live:

Water the roots only. Water the plants from ground level, with a gentle water applicator ("nozzle" tends to bring up images of high-impact water--exactly the wrong thing here), to allow the water to soak into the ground without splashing any soil up onto the plant.

Black spot is a fungus whose spores over-winter in the soil. There are discussions here at THG on how to combat it (sorry, I don't have the time ATM to do the Search for you) without using chemicals. Physical management includes keeping the area beneath the roses cleaned up--any fallen leaves or other matter gets raked up regularly so that spores can't transfer to the soil and make themselves at home, plants are pruned so that sunlight and air penetrate the bushes.

Hope this helps. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Rose Forum”