Learning2Grow
Newly Registered

Double knockout rose bush in trouble

Hi there! This is my first year attempting to grow things outside. My husband and I started a modest vegetable garden that, so far, is doing well (knock on wood!) We also had some landscaping work done in our front yard, and had three pink double knockout bushes planted. They get plenty of sun, and I've been watering and feeding them like I thought I should. In the past few days, though, two of the three bushes have begun to lose their blooms, and the leaves are turning brown, with yellow surrounding the edges. The leaves are also dry and wrinkly. I've done lots of googling and have read so much advice and suggestions that I'm feeling overwhelmed and confused. I didn't plant the bushes myself (our landscape guy did,) so I'm not quite sure if that was done properly or not. I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out where to go from here. It's been a dream of mine to have rose bushes, so now that I have some, I want to take excellent care of them. Thanks so much! Any help will be appreciated very, very much!

roseprose

It's hard to guess what's gone wrong since it's not known how they were planted (Did the landscaper's confuse weed killer with fertilizer? etc). But you may be watering too much; that's a possibility. Knock Out is as tough as they come; it may recover on its own.

Learning2Grow
Newly Registered

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I assume the landscape guy knew what he was doing, so I'm hoping it wasn't a planting issue. Since I am paranoid about not watering my roses enough, I could very possibly be watering them too much. Would you recommend just waiting and watching? In general, the shrubs look fine, with the exception of the leaves. They all have a few blooms and I haven't noticed any issues with the canes. How long would you watch without taking action? Thanks for your help!

roseprose

I forgot to say that roses do not like water on their leaves in hot sun. Best to water in early morning and water the ground only. A lot of us use dripper hoses for that reason. For the plants to "correct" themselves: How long you should wait might dependent on your local climate. A hot dry climate would obviously use up water more quickly than a cool climate. You might want to consult the local chapter of the American Rose Society.

TGMcCallie
Newly Registered

If it were me, I would call the landscaper that put them out. This is just a precautionary measure in case they do die because any good landscaper offers a year's warranhty on that. He might have an idea what is wrong also.

I am sure the nursery from which he purchased them will back them up if they die.

Return to “Rose Forum”