Roses in Florida

Growing Roses in Florida

I live in Florida and would like to grow roses in my yards. What are good roses for Florida? Are there roses that can take the heat and humidity?

Thank you for your help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Knowing roses susceptibility to fungal disease in high humidity situations, I am hesitant (as a Connecticut gardener) to make recommendations here. Check with your local extension service (usually through your state university) or with local garden centers; they will have much better answers than any guessing I could do. That said, I will make some inquiries and get back to you with my findings...

Scott

I live in Plant City, Florida, and have exceptional luck growing Don Juan roses. They are a deep red rose, heavenly rich rose smell, thrive in full sun, and love the sandy soil. You will probably still need to feed regularly, and spray for fungus or pests, I use Bayer 3 in one about 4 times a year and have flowers year round. This year I purchased a lavender rose, and it's doing well and except for a bit of beetle damage, its now in full bloom.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks for the info. Gardeners in your area can be one of your best informational sources; they have been through the things that are troubling you and have found solutions that work in your area. Joining a local garden club can be a big help for just that reason...

Scott

I live in the Orlando area. I also love Don Juan roses. Though listed as a climbing rose, it blooms so continuously. I get cut flowers most of the year. As a result of cutting the flowers, it keeps it pruned. The scent is AWESOME and it is the most forgiving rose I have (except for Knockout). Knockout is a great shrub form of a rose, but the stems are too short and multi-clustered to use as a cut flower. Anything except Knockout seems to need at least monthly fungus and pest control. I use Orthonex as it does both. It is recommended that you spray weekly throughout late Spring and early Summer during our rainy season. However, if you don't, the worst that usually happens is that the leaves drop and then flush out again. There is a great book by Nelson about Nelson Roses and growing roses in Florida. I highly recommend it. A quote from the book is that lawns actually take more water, chemicals and time on a weekly basis than roses. I agree.:D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks for the info...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”