chrissym
Newly Registered

Can anyone identify this rose?

Hi-this is Christine and I live Down Under in South Australia. I have had several gardens at various stages of my life and am now in a compact town house with a courtyard. The previous owner had a serious red theme going on in the garden and I want to replace the standard red roses with something softer in apricots and oranges. Although we are a very dry state we have had wonderful rain in Autumn and the roses at present are stunning. I am inspired into action.
I found this photo on the internet and adore this rose but cannot identify it. I would apprciate it if anyone can help me.
[img][img]https://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/chrissym57/The%20Beauty%20of%20Nature%202010/DSCF0016-3-2005_04_05-23_43_43-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by chrissym on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A warm welcome to you, Christine! I've moved your intro down here to the Rose forum, because you're much more likely to get an answer to your question here.

I hope your enjoy the time you spend here at The Helpful Gardener. :)

chrissym
Newly Registered

Thank you. As usual I am all enthusiasm but no technique!

Majenta

Hi Crissym. I registered for this forum sometime ago, but have mostly just been a lurker. However, I'll take this opportunity to welcome you too. I certainly don't have an answer for you, but that is a very pretty rose. It may take someone from your area to identify it for you though since there are so many rose cultivars. Is it possible for you to post a larger image of your rose?

chrissym
Newly Registered

Hi Majenta-nothing wrong with being a "lurker" on this site. I have changed the photo so I hope it is better. It was taken at the Chelsea flower show by some talented photographer who didn't put the name on it. I have searched here in Adelaide and on the net but can't lidentify it. Its just a whim of mine at the moment. This is an interesting site and I will post some of my rose photos and others when I grab a moment.
Cheers,
Christine

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I've been looking around the web to see if I could figure out what rose this is.. I could only find one that looks similar.. though I'm pretty sure it isn't the same called " Rose-Easy Does it " I will still look around just incase g'luck :D

Majenta

Hi Crissym - Here's a pic of my 'Easy Does it' from this summer. It was a new plant and this pic is rather washed out (mid summer) and the blooms are about finished. The colour is somewhat similar and if the picture is from the UK, it could very well be this rose as it hails from there. I will also keep a look out for a rose that looks similar to your pic.

[img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk226/Kayli-gardener/re%20sized%20photos/Easydoesit.jpg[/img]

microcollie
Green Thumb

I haven't grown roses in years...too much work for my blood, and japanese beetles sealed the deal. I looked back at some old notebooks, though, and came up with these (I would send pics, but they're from before the days of digital :shock: ) You should be able to find them pretty easily on the web: Sweet Revelation, Marilyn Monroe, and Hamilton Gardens. I think that they're all hybrid teas. Love the colors...wish they were good for a lazy gardener like myself.

chrissym
Newly Registered

Thanks Bewildered Greeny and Majenta. It is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. Easy Does It is lovely.Thanks for the photo Majenta.
I guess the roses do take a bit of tlc Microcollie but for me the result is worth it. I have some gorgeous blooms at present. Nature helped by bringing a lot of autumn rain but I have been feeding them regularly and spraying the bugs-which is quite hard for a buddhist. I wonder how others cope with this? I appreciate all your responses-great fun-isn't technology wonderful! Some of my roses.

Seduction
Just Joey
[/img][img]https://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/chrissym57/The%20Beauty%20of%20Nature%202010/Picture031.jpg[/img]
Angel Face-one of my faves-lovely fragrant rose
[img]https://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/chrissym57/The%20Beauty%20of%20Nature%202010/IMG_0892.jpg[/img]

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Microcollie listed Sweet Revolution in her post which I looked up and have decided looks the most similar to the photo you posted. It's difficult to tell for sure color wise because computers and photography in general can really alter the true color of the rose. Here is a photo of Sweet Revolution.
[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/phpThumbphp.jpg[/img]

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

here is another photo... the site it came from didn't give its name either but it came from the same show its probably from the same plant
[img]https://image24.webshots.com/24/9/30/80/38893080ahsYjE_ph.jpg[/img]

Majenta

Beautiful pictures all! But, don't you just want to bury your nose in that 'Angel Face'?

We do feed our roses regularly, but we don't spray insecticides. Not necessarily because we are totally organic, but we find that when we use insecticides we kill off the predators and in the long run have more problems, especially spider mites in the heat of summer. We have found that the first to admire our roses in spring are aphids and sometimes an alarming number of them. But over the years, we have learned to ignore them until the predators show up, especially ladybeetles and their voracious young (larvae). Without the use of insecticides, there is more of a good - bad balance which is needed as the good guys need a food source to stay around. Most municipalities in BC have banned the use of cosmetic pesticides so they are no longer carried in the garden shops. The only allowable insecticide is Safer's Soap which runs quite expensive if you have a large number of plants.

Enjoy your roses - they are beautiful!

Return to “Rose Forum”