npokorny
Newly Registered

Help me identify this rose bush/tree

Greetings,

This past spring (February) I moved into a house (zone 5 A/B) that already had some roses planted from the previous owner. From my limited rose experience, I've managed to prune off old flowers and keep them continuously blooming for the past 3-4 months, as well as ward off attack from aphids and sawfly larvae (the rust (I think) got the better of my tea rose though).

I've been able to identify what 2 of the 3 are: a creeper with white/pink flower bundles, and a pink tea variety. However, I have this 3rd kind which I have no idea what it is. It is now over 6 feet tall with several stems exceding the thickness of an inch in diameter. The flowers are about 4 inches in diameter when fully opened and are a mixture of bright pink and yellow (those in the shade seem to be more yellow and less pink). And even now, I have new rose buds making appearances on a near daily occurence.

I have included pictures. I would greatly appreciate an identification of this 3rd rose. I ask because I am trying to figure out what to do with them before the winter comes. Though I am not sure, I believe that the previous owners cut the stalks/stems back to approximately 2 feet in height in the Fall of 2009, because there was no way these bushes were as big as they now when I moved here and started care for them in April.

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick
[img]https://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3941/p1090183.jpg[/img]
[img]https://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6425/p1090181.jpg[/img][/img]

chelle
Newly Registered

Hello Nick,

Looks like it could be "Chicago Peace" hybrid tea rose. You can search for photos online to see if this could be the variety.

If it is a hybrid tea, you will need to prune it back in the fall and mulch around it well to protect it from freezing during the winter.

We have very mild winters where I live, so perhaps someone closer to your zone can give you more specific pointers on the pruning and winter protection.

Sorry, I am pretty new to rose gardening myself, but what fun it is!

Good Luck to you with the roses.

rosegirl
Newly Registered

It does look like a Peace rose. When you move to a new area, the best thing that you can do, is talk to your neighbors! Thay will give you the scoop on the weather conditions in that area, and what to expect. My advice...now is NOT the time to cut it back, I'd waite until Spring. You should winterize it though by covering it after the first killing frost.

gingerbread
Newly Registered

It looks like a peace rose to me but I'm not very familiar with rose gardening. Beautiful photos!

dbang10

"Love and Peace"

Return to “Rose Forum”