Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can you safely plant roses againgst a building, in Alberta?

I am REALLY excited Finally got a 12 yard load of beautiful topsoil, to plant my plants in. But am wondering if we could safely plant roses ( the OLD fragrant) fragrant type of roses. Things like Hansa etc. We face the south, but get really vicious winds in the winter here. I had thought of planting them a little further out in a small area I can use( we are in a commercial buildingwith metal siding) but after reading about winter rose care, I'm doing a re-think on that. -----Has anyone got any ideas on this for me???? Would be much appreciatted. :?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

The roses would be in a bed right up againgst the building. Forgot that! :oops:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I am going to be planting this weekend and sure would appreciatte some opinons----PLEASE?????------- :?:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Thank You so much for doing all that research for me. It is much appreciatted :) Yes They will be facing south. They will be about 3 feet away from the building. So sounds like that part will work. (I have been buying up new burlap for covering plants already. The stores had a sale on some, just recently.) Still looking for more though. Yes, we can get straw here fairly cheap, so will cover them really well and wrap them with burlap. Plus put down something to keep the straw from blowing away. Some planks or? So I will wait to fertilize, and work real hard to keep them going. I miss my roses so badly. I did buy the heritage type roses, they are tough and fragrant. The tea roses etc. just don't live out here. They are beautiful, but I don't want to be resonsible for killing them :( I'm going to use wheat straw, as it breaks up so nicely for covering things. Plus I won't have oats coming up! LOL! You must get winds pretty similar to us. They can get pretty vicious. Thanks again for the information. :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the idea of putting deer fencing down. I didn't really want to put planks down, for the exact reasons you gave. But never even thought of deer fencing! Great to talk to other people and get lot of wonderful ideas. Thanks So Much. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”