johng_19@att.net

Non Flowering Rose Bushes

I have 7 Rose bushes planted on the south side of my house from the previous home owner.3 of these rose bushes didn't flower this year the other 4 were great.I fertilized with rose fertilizer in spring.2 of these 3 never flowered in 5 years but they aren't dead.I'm wondering if I should just dig them up or should I do something different that I don't know about?I live in the suburbs of Chicago and like I said being on the south side of my house they get plenty of sunlight.Do you think if I dig up the non performers and loosen the soil and add compost they might start flowering?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It sounds like they were either overly stimulated with nitrogen (it can push so much foliage growth that the flower function shuts down) or they were pruned incorrectly (you didn't mention that) On the south face of your house should be plenty of sun (which you did mention), but that would be the first place I would usually look for this issue. You're sure there's plenty of light? Please clarify plenty...

Scott

johng_19@att.net

Well when I say plenty of sunlight I would say atleast 8 hours of sunlight in the heart of summer.I'm reading something now that says to prune in the spring in April I would usually cut the canes in November.Any tips on pruning?I'm reading 4 or 5 stalks at knee level,I have different sized plants.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like sun isn't the issue. I'd go easy on the nitrogen next year and build a good organic soil base around the plants (use good mulch, like compost).

As for the pruning, here's the page from the website; if you've more questions after reading this I'd be happy to answer them...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/rose/2003/care.html[/url]

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”