JPIXI

Mildew and blackspot Spray

Hiya guys,

I would like to share a new spray that I have composed and it works for me.

It started with the Zepherine Drouhin I have that is highly proned to mildew and blackspot. Since last year, I have tested with many different new ingredient to grade how effective they are to mildew and blackspot.

Finally, I realised that both problem are very sensitive to acidic and a tinge of oil will prolong and protect the leaf from catching the diseases for a considerable period of time.

If you are interested, you can try the below:

(750ml of water)
-Biocarbonate 1 tsp
-Vinegar acid or any salade vinegar 2 tsp (7 to 8% concentrated)
-Cooking oil 2 tsp
-Mild soap a few drop (optional)
-Mild body lotion a few drop ( I use baby body lotion)

Any preventive spray is advisable to spray under leaf and perferably early morning.

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks for sharing Pixi! I think you should become a chemist or something, you're always trying and tinkering with something new!! I think it's great that you're taking it on yourself and experimenting, and finding the right thing that works for you. Keep up the good work!!!

Avoir un week-end merveilleux danser parmi vos roses ! :wink:

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hey JPIXI! Great discovery!
Where do you find the bicarbonate? Everything else I know I have around the house & can put it together.

How often do you treat it?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Grey, you have bicarbonate in your house as well - it's baking soda!! :lol:

Val

JPIXI

Thanks guys!

Grey the Bicarbonate is sold at the salt column in super market in France costing 1.60 euro for 400 grams. If you cannot find it, you can replace with baking soda, but probably you should reduce the amount as baking soda is more reactive than bicarbonate.

I use this mildew spray more often (weekly) if the weather is stuffy and humid, otherwise, I use this spray every 2weeks to keep pests away. Always try to spray under the leaf.

As there is cooking oil and body lotion in the content, the leaf no longer get ugly stain of the Bicarbonate. The vinegar and oil have effectively put all tiny caterpillars to dry up by themselves. The use of body lotion is to limit the amount of bicarbonate and oil that grip on the leaf itself, preventing accessive amount that might suffocate the leaf.

It seems that my roses love it so much that they grow very luscious and compact leaves. I will take some picture for you guys to see the result soon.

Thanks to you guys to have taught me so much in the past!

Bon weekend mes chers amis.
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

Your post comes at a great time for me too, JPIXI. We've just had 3 cloudy days with off and on rain - I don't think my roses have had a chance to dry out at ALL in that long, and I am sure a case of blackspot is in their future.

I just got a George Burns. I absolutely love this rose! :)

https://www.weeksroses.com/georgeburns.php

Return to “Rose Forum”