wererich
Newly Registered

New Rose Bush

I'm not a rose-y type of person. I'd always read about how difficult it was to raise roses. I hated the pricklies because I have smaller children. However, I found this gorgeous yellow rose bush last year and just couldn't resist it. So I planted it and it's done well. I prune and it keeps bringing me new flowers. It seems to be growing sideways. I have some shots of my bush that can be seen here:

https://www.flutterbutterdesigns.com/blog/

If you look at the top photo towards the bottom of the photo, you will see that it only has one major branch rising up to the main flowers. This "branch" (not sure of the technical term) is about 2 feet in height. The problem is that it is only one and the weight of the flowers is making it lean to the right. I have a pole set up but was wondering if it will ever come up with new branches or if there is a way to get it to grow new branches for stability. I'm sorry that the photo doesn't show the whole thing but it should give you an idea. I'm not sure but I think it's a hybrid tea rose? I could be wrong. Dummy me, I threw out the tag for it long ago.

Denise

wererich
Newly Registered

I guess no one knows how to answer my question? Would it help if I took photos of what I'm talking about?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've read your message a couple of times, but am unclear as to what your question is.

The photographs are beautiful, the rose looks happy and healthy, the flowers are full and well-colored.

If there is only one stem from the ground to 2 feet above, the rose was most likely trained as a standard rose. These are intended to look like miniature "trees": trunk with blooms at the top.

I might also suggest that the title of the thread doesn't let readers know what the difficulty is, or if indeed there *is* a difficulty. For help in developing titles of threads which will attract more readers, please see our webmaster's hints at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7770

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

starflare
Cool Member

It looks like a rose tree

wererich
Newly Registered

Is there any way to make it a bush? Or how do I make the tree grow bigger? It seems to stay the same size every year. With each new batch of roses, I have to clip them to keep the entire thing from folding over. I'm actually thinking of stabilizing it by putting a deep pole and attaching it to the main branch. Then to hide that, I was thinking of putting flowers around it.

mikes
Newly Registered

I actually thought it was a climber at first but I agree on the tree

Return to “Rose Forum”