misspatti
Newly Registered

help - insects on a rose bush

Hi, there. Today when I was working in a flower box, I noticed that there were several pinkish-reddish insects congregating at the very top of a few rose branches. I want to know if they are not good for the rose bush, and if they are not, how I should go about getting rid of them. I would prefer a natural remedy, as I am loathe to use insecticides that are risky to handle and are not good for the environment.

Also, some of the leaves had holes in them, but they were the leaves toward the base of the plant. Otherwise the rose bush seems fine and has already had a couple of blooms.

Thank you for your help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Can you post a picture, or at least tell us more about the size & appearance of the insects? Did they look a bit like tiny little flies, for instance? Aphids really seem to like roses a lot, and they come in a variety of colors. Most are green, but I've seen white ones, black ones, and just about every color in between. :)

If they are aphids, you can just wash them off with a spray of water from your garden hose. If there are only a few of them, you can just wipe them off with your fingers.

If the infestation is very severe, you can spray with a mixture of 1 tsp of pure soap to 1 gallon of water. Be careful to read the label and make sure you have pure soap. Most dishwashing liquids are detergents, and detergents can harm plants.

Ladybugs are the natural predators of aphids, so if you see ladybugs on your plants, they're taking care of the problem for you. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”