When is the proper time to prune roses?

Hi, I have a friend who lives in Charlotte county, Florida and she asked me when the proper time to prune roses are. Well, I live up north and am not familiar with pruning schedules in Florida. When can she prune roses?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The usual rules apply; although they can get away with pruning a little later than we can, you still need to make sure you're not starting new growth late in the season where it won't get a chance to harden off. But in year round growing areas you can prune all the time, really. I still like the idea of a big fall/ little spring prune with deadheading and a little shaping the rest of the season...

How to Care for Roses

Scott

petunialover

I live in zone 5, I usually leave my roses unpruned in the fall but bank them with bags of leaves,(next year's compost) then prune off the winter kill, I do this because the rose will have winterkill and if drastically pruned in the fall it will have less good branches that if one waited to prune. I was wondering if anyone else had some good ideas?

pl

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Longer canes in winter can get whipped by wind and actually weaken lower crotches; the generally recognized method (for the North anyway) is fall prune to about a foot, then another spring pruning to get rid of winter kill.

I don't much like the leave piles as it encourages rodent hibernation; use soil as it protects better, both from cold and mice. Less of an issue down south, but better safe...

Scott

pruning roses

no, not leaf piles, bags of leaves, and I'm aware of the rodent thing, but so are the feral cats we have in abundance here. Last year I wrapped my one rose in furniture packing blanket it survived intact, but later mole damage caused me to lose a few small brances. I know moles don;t eat roots but the damage them in their relentless quest for hole digging.

PL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's true, moles can cause a lot of collateral damage in the quest for food, but remember, their favorite food is grubs (followed by worms), so their presence may be a warning of sorts for grubs (It may also mean you've developed a great worm population, but it can't hurt to check). The blanket is a great idea...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”