Andi

New home with lots of rose bushes...

Dear Gardeners,
I live in Northwest Washington state, and have just moved to new home with about 15 different rose bushes. I have been watering them every three days to keep the soil moist, but not over watered. However, I am new to the care of these beautiful plants. It is now the middle of July, and most of the bushes have one or two blooms, and black spots on the leaves. Is there anything that I could do to get them healthy as soon as possible, so they survive our sporadic summer, and winter? All help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Congatulations on the new place! (Just moved to new digs myself)

The roses are getting that first stage of black spot; I like neem oil both as a preventitive and a curative. Spray them down now and dead-head those blooms as they come off and I think you'll do fine; that watering schedule sounds good as long as you water deeply. A feed now (I like Rose-Tone from Espoma) wouldn't hurt...

Scott

Andi

Wonderful advice. I will get to all of the rose bushes asap! I just have one more question. I heard that rose bushes need to pruned at a certain point to ensure health, and maxiumum blooms. I am not sure exactly where to clip them, and I don't want to hurt them. Again, all help is appreciated. Thank You.
Andi

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This time of year the only real pruning is deadheading and a little form pruning; fall is the next big prune. Here's some rose pruning tips on the site...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/rose/2003/care.html[/url]

Should answer most questions; bring any others here :)

Scott

Andi

Thanks so much for all of the helpful information. I am sure my rose bushes will be ecspecially happy, and grateful.
Andi

Return to “Rose Forum”