Allen

Blooms shrivelling

My rose blooms sometimes shrivel so early on in their growth period. The tips of the petals are darkened too.
Is this because of overwatering (I've noticed some yellow leaves lately) or could it be because of the hot temperatures this week? Am I over fertilizing?
I live in Southern California and am new at growing roses.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This could be fertilizer burn, but I suspect fungus. Are you fertilizing with organic fertilizer or water soluable nitrogen? It's MUCH harder to burn plants with organic as the assays are lower and all the fertilizer isn't immediately available (plus organic stays in the soil while water soluable nitrogen washes away). Slow but steady is definitely the way to feed.

Like I said it's probably fungal. When and how are you watering? Early morning lets the plants dry off and then gives the sun all day to kill off any spores that landed. With the yellow leaves are you seeing any black spots on the leaves? Black spot is very common; most any garden center can provide you with a solution (the old school organic solution is bordeaux mix, a mixture of copper, sulphur and lime sprinkled on the leaves, although I've become a fan of neem oil; works wonders...)

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”