spikesgm
Newly Registered

New rose bush from old?

I have a rose bush out front - don't know the name , it was there when I bought my house 20 years ago. It is by the sidewalk. Last winter some one must have stepped on it and most of the branches were broken off. Last summer it came back nicely with branches coming out on opposite sides and the original stump in the middle, like 2 separate plants.
Is it possible to saw through the stump and separate these two and transplant one? I would love one in my back yard which is sunny now since my neighbor cut down a huge mulberry tree.

Wahrheit

spikesgm wrote:I have a rose bush out front - don't know the name , it was there when I bought my house 20 years ago. It is by the sidewalk. Last winter some one must have stepped on it and most of the branches were broken off. Last summer it came back nicely with branches coming out on opposite sides and the original stump in the middle, like 2 separate plants.
Is it possible to saw through the stump and separate these two and transplant one? I would love one in my back yard which is sunny now since my neighbor cut down a huge mulberry tree.
If you're very careful, and get a good portion of the roots intact, I don't see why it couldn't survive.
I had a very similar experience with my Europeana bush. It split in half a few years ago, and even though it was a grafted rose, both halves remained intact, so I separated them, and took extra care to keep them well watered. Both halves survived and grew well.

Return to “Rose Forum”