Linny
Cool Member

Beer for Growing Roses?

Over the last five years or so, my mom has ordered and planted probably twenty to thirty rose bushes. She has Floribundas, Knock out's, rambling, tea rose, and I don't know what else. She orders them every year, plants them, and some do okay, some don't do anything and one or two have actually done pretty well. She told me today that she has heard that giving them a half cup of beer once a week is the trick to getting them to do wonderfully. I cannot find anything thing that states that. Anybody???

Wahrheit

Linny wrote:Over the last five years or so, my mom has ordered and planted probably twenty to thirty rose bushes. She has Floribundas, Knock out's, rambling, tea rose, and I don't know what else. She orders them every year, plants them, and some do okay, some don't do anything and one or two have actually done pretty well. She told me today that she has heard that giving them a half cup of beer once a week is the trick to getting them to do wonderfully. I cannot find anything thing that states that. Anybody???
Beer for roses, eh? I guess it's possible to have at least some element of truth in it, but it seems like this wouldn't be such a well kept secret if it were indeed true.
HOWEVER.... I did find some info in this link here:

https://www.allsands.com/gardening/beautifulroses_wi_gn.htm

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, but for now, I remain somewhat skeptical.....

Let us know if it works.
;-)

Linny
Cool Member

Thanks for your reply. At least you found something on the topic whereas I could not. The one thing I found involved drinking beer while you enjoyed your rose bushes. (Which I'm not opposed to!)

Since my mom has about $500.00 invested in her roses and I have $12.95 invested in the one I bought just this past weekend, I think I will try the method provided in the link you gave me.

If it works out then I will give her the details. If not, I have not lost that much and we will live and learn, huh? I agree with you in that if it was a tried and trued method, it would not be such a secret. Thanks for your help while I too remain skeptical. I hope I don't sacrifice my one and only rose in the process! I will let you know.

Linny

Return to “Rose Forum”