mynana
Newly Registered

old roses

My Mom has 2 VERY old roses (Older than myself 51) & I'd like to try rooting them, but really have no experience w/ roses. I want these as heirlooms seem to be less needy & disease/pest resistant. Would appreciate advice on procedure & time of year that is best.Thx

pd

Do you know what type of rose they are - rambler, climber, hybrid tea ....

If hybrid tea you can propagate but they will not have identical growth characteristics as the parent plant because it will have been bud grafted onto a stock root.

All roses can be propagated from hardwood cuttings taken in the autumn and inserted in a sheltered place in the garden. See 'Gardennotes' and 'Hardwood Cuttings' in the propagation section of my website.

hay

what I did with my "old blush" china rose was take several hardwood cuttings last october and put them in rooting mix made of 50% vermiculite and 50% perlite and watered them well and covered the entire container with saran wrap, leaving a hole at the top for air. after a few weeks, they put on new growth. then in the spring gently upend the container and seperate the new plants and plant in the garden or in containers as you wish. some varieties of roses may be harder than others to root. just experiment and have fun rooting them.

Return to “Rose Forum”