LittleLou
Newly Registered

Please help, my mini rose plant is dying

I am new to gardening and I love it, but its not really its in my house. and I have just bought this pretty little pink rose bush maybe ten inches high and I have had it for about 2 weeks now I transplanted it into a larger pot like the lady told me to do and put plant food in it, but its starting to wilt and the flower is drying up, the leaves are falling off, is this because its the end of the season or am I just doing something wrong, all the other plants I bought from her are living, just my little pretty rose. please help

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have 3 miniature roses in containers. I keep them outdoors on my patio. I tried to keep the first 2 mini roses I bought as house plants, but they died. :(

I even leave mine out all winter, although we don't get much freezing weather where I live.

How large of a pot did you use for yours? I used 6 inch pots for my pink and red ones that I bought this spring, and they were drying up like yours. Someone here advised me to put them in 10" pots, which I did, and they've been doing beautifully ever since. :)

LittleLou
Newly Registered

well I have it in a I think ten inch pot and its quite tall to. and I transplanted it could it have just been from the trans plant, there are there floweres, and now they are all dead. I also don't get much frost or cold so out side they it should go?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The rose flowers themselves do not bloom for very long; maybe a few days to a week. Once you see the flowers start to fade (dry out, drop petals, etc.), get out your sharp pruning shears/secateurs and cut the stem back to at least a three- and preferably a five-leaf twig.

This is called "dead-heading." Once you've taken off the fading blooms, the plant will think "Oh, no! Now I've got to make new flowers!" and will probably reward you with new blooms.

You won't want to dead-head too close to the commencement of cold weather, though; let the plant make rose hips for the winter.

Depending on your precise climate zone, preparing your plant for winter will be anywhere from absolutely critical to completely unnecessary. Look at Sunset's Western Garden Book for its climate maps; they're MUCH more precise--and useful--for the western states and provinces than the USDA Zone system.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Rose Forum”