nfollis

No leaves and small blooms

Hi!

I transplanted a three year old lilac bush two years ago. Last year it bloomed full and gorgeous. This year, it has a few small green leaves and a few small blooms. Any ideas as to how I might bring this tree back to life?! I don't want it to die - it is very special to me! HELP - please!!!

Thanks
Nikki

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds very mysterious; last year a really big show and then nought this year. Makes me think the plant used stored reserves last year and had nothing left for this one. Did you get plenty of root when you transplanted? Did you dig a ten dollar hole for a dollar plant (you should)?
Sounds like it really didn't get it's feet under it, which seems strange considering it had a year. At this point I think disturbing it would be a mistake; fertilize with a fertilizer heavier on the P-K (the three numbers on the fertilizer are nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium, or N-P-K). Mulch around the plant with compost or bark mulch to reduce root competition and add organic content and make surte the plant has enough light. This could be a light issue, but last year's showing makes that seem less likely to me...

Scott

nfollis

Okay - well it is in plenty of light and the hole was dug large. I went out and bought peat, mulch and fertilizer. I hope this will help to save the tree. Will I see any leaves growing and greening up this year, or will I have to wait until next year?

Thank you :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi NIkki,

Should see pretty immediate results from the fertilizer (in a week or so). If the conditions persist I would think you were dealing with something fungal and spray with neem oil (if ecologically minded) or a full spectrum fungicide (like Daconil, if you don't care)...

nfollis

If for some reason it is fungal, what would you suggest getting to cure it? I fertilized last Tuesday and there are no more leaves or anything that I am noticing in changes. There is a branch that looks green to me, almost like an algae. Advice?!

Thanks!!! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Daconil is my broad spectrum fungicide of choice; tough times call for tough measures...frankly it doesn't sound good... :(

Scott

Return to “Lilacs Forum”