dana
Newly Registered

lilac mildew and not blooming

first time here and I am enjoying checking out the site. two falls ago I moved two lilac bushes one of which was getting too much shade. it didn't bloom and looked scraggly. the other was not doing that well either. it got more sun but only put on 3 blooms each year for a few years. I believe that they are at least 6-9 years old. they were here before me.

I dug large holes and mixed in a generous amount of very mature compost. the plants are several feet apart. last year the non-bloomer put on seven blooms and the 3 bloomer put on 50+ blooms. later in the year the plants got a mildewy looking condition. regretfully I did nothing. this year they have not bloomed at all. they are growing like crazy though.
any suggestions? thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This can happen; you've made them SO happy they feel no need to bloom (reproduce) when conditions are SO favorable for foliage growth. So they are cranking out foliage, and probably new shoots from the base too; am I right?

Take advantage of this growth year and prune out some old wood. That will encourage even more shoots at the base. Next year you will have more vital new growth that will be ready to bloom. Stop fertilizing as well; I'm pretty sure you are; either that or you had really great compost. Maybe some wood ash in fall or spring and you willhave plenty of blooms next year (assuming that this isn't just another shaded area. The mildew is all about moisture on the leaves at night; don't water late and let it sit. Try a cup of milk in a gallon of water and spray it on (loading the hose-end sprayer with milk works too) and hose them down in the morning. I think you'll be suprised...

HG

dana
Newly Registered

thanks for the reply. I sort of suspected that this was the case concerning the lack of blooming. they definitely get enough sun. I have not fed them at all since transplanting them. I got the compost from earthcare farms in charlestown RI. if you are not aware of this place then as a gardener you should. I am a novice at gardening but I know mike's compost is black gold. thanks for the tip on the pruning. prune the old wood right near the base? so far there hasn't been any mildew this year.

peace
dana

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's right Dana, right to the ground and let those new canes fatten up...

dana
Newly Registered

thanks for the quick reply. can I do the wood ash now? pruning now?

peace
dana

Helpful Gardener~Could you clarify: Does one spray the milk mixture on the mildew covered leaves at night and hose the solution off in the morning? Or do both the spraying and hosing off in the morning? This doesn't leave an odor of sour milk does it? That is one smell I cannot handle. I assume this would work on any plant with mildew? Like hollyhocks, zinnias and calendula?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Dana, wait for the flowers to go to prune (why lose them?) and wait until fall for the wood ash (better time for the plant to use it).

You just spray the mix on any old time (I like day as it dries on the leaf). Don't wash it away at all. (Once dry it does not dissipate). I have never noticed the sour milk smell, but I believe deer do, as they tend to leave newly sprayed plants alone (for a while... :roll: ). Not only does this work for ANY plant, it works on a number of different fungii; blossom end rot on tomatoes, fungal leaf spot on many plants, even black spot on roses (while curative on mildew and some of the less virulent types it is only preventative for tougher ones like black spot). The scientific name for this process is antagonistic biological counter-culture; turns out Lactobacillus spp. (the germ that sours milk) is very common in the wild and once it cultivates an area, it attacks other colonists, like the crew we discussed here. I was VERY sceptical at first but I tried it out on bee balm in a damp cool summer and everything from tomatoes to roses since and I am most impressed. A fungicide you always have in the fridge; who knew? :wink:

Scott

Return to “Lilacs Forum”