Onewithnature

Hogweed?

Can anyone tell me if this is hogweed? It is about 4 feet tall.
Attachments
1468618170675.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

There's been a fair amount of news about this plant and I've been concerned about it myself because I have similar things growing in my own backyard!

A mature flowering hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) will have a flower bunch that is about six inches in circumference and often larger, featuring about fifty rays (the stems from which the flower blooms). The stem has purple or red in it, too.

If that plant has neither of those characteristics then it's likely Heracleum maximum, a common plant in North America, also known as cow parsnip or wild carrots. Heracleum maximum has about fifteen or more rays, but well short of fifty. The plant growing in my backyard is locally referred to here in Massachusetts as a wild carrot.

LIcenter

Here we call it Queen Anne's Lace. We have some Hogweed growing in my area, and is being eradicated by the state. From what I'm reading it is, at the very least a three year process to rid this weed.

applestar
Mod

webmaster wrote:The stem has purple or red in it, too.
^^^^^
THIS

I was too tired last night, but I was going to say we need to see the stem to be able to tell. I always remember it like a "Speckled Band" -- a Sherlock Holmes story in the original novel.

...I believe Hogweed prefers moist somewhat shady locations, too, whereas Queen Ann's Lace tends to grow well in dry parched locations in full sun.

told2b

ghstem2.jpg
ghstem2.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Giant hogweed stem

LIcenter

applestar wrote:
webmaster wrote:The stem has purple or red in it, too.
^^^^^
THIS

I was too tired last night, but I was going to say we need to see the stem to be able to tell. I always remember it like a "Speckled Band" -- a Sherlock Holmes story in the original novel.

...I believe Hogweed prefers moist somewhat shady locations, too, whereas Queen Ann's Lace tends to grow well in dry parched locations in full sun.
I didn't mean Hogweed was called Queen Anne's lace. I was simply saying the pic is called QAL where I reside. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

applestar
Mod

I knew what you meant, though I'm glad you clarified in case this wasn't clear to some.

I skipped right over the possible ambiguity and was trying to indicate that, if it's growing out in sunny open space, it's more likely to be the benign Queen Ann's Lace and not Hogweed.

Mr_bobo_

I would say wild carrot ;) Daucus carota

Hogweed is much taller and flowers are bigger... ;)

Onewithnature

Thank you everyone for your replies...guess I didnt check the email notification box. It was carrot.

Return to “Plant Identification”