brandandli
Newly Registered

Looking for true name of "company flower"

My MIL has often commented about a particular plant she used to have but can no longer find. I would love to find it for her and give it to her for her birthday but cannot locate any reference to it! She points out plants that are similar in nature often commenting on how she loved that plant. From what I can tell, it is a ground cover of sorts (maybe up to 8" in height?) with white flowers. She refers to it as "company flower." Does anyone have any clue what this may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have been searching heirloom seed companies and Google off and on since 3:30, and I cannot find anything with that name!

Sweet Alyssum does keep coming up though, in google image every single time I look. Maybe show her a picture of it? It's a ground cover as well!

Here's a link!

https://www.edenbrothers.com/store/sweet ... seeds.html
Last edited by Lindsaylew82 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

brandandli wrote:My MIL has often commented about a particular plant she used to have but can no longer find. I would love to find it for her and give it to her for her birthday but cannot locate any reference to it! She points out plants that are similar in nature often commenting on how she loved that plant. From what I can tell, it is a ground cover of sorts (maybe up to 8" in height?) with white flowers. She refers to it as "company flower." Does anyone have any clue what this may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

yes, you didn't give many hints. To start with where are you and your MIL located. That might help narrow it down whether we are looking for cold hardy stuff, desert adapted or whatever.

Do you know whether this plant was evergreen? Annual or perennial? Large flowers or small? Fragrant flowers? spring or summer blooming?

Company flower doesn't seem to mean anything. Do you have any idea what it means to her?

Here are some white flowering ground covers:

besides the alyssum, there is rockcress/ snowcap
white creeping phlox
whitewater speedwell
cerastium/ snow-in-summer
creeping mazus (alba)
bishop's weed/ snow on the mountain

If you google them, you can show her pictures of each, see if she recognizes anything.

Best Wishes!

told2b

Symphytum orientale, white comfrey?
Comfrey flower, Company flower??

brandandli
Newly Registered

I knew it was a long shot... I was hoping someone might remember this plant so I could surprise her.

For reference, she's in central CA (hot and dry) and it was an evergreen (but I'm not sure what that might mean based on the climate there!), in case that brings anything else to mind.

Thank you for your time! And for searching Lindsaylew82!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, trying again...

Clematis armandii is an evergreen clematis with lots of fragrant, star-like white blooms in clusters. It is a climber but could be grown as a ground cover.

Star jasmine is an evergreen vine also with very fragrant, star shaped white flowers.

Blue star creeper is an evergreen ground cover with tiny pale green leaves and small flowers that are very pale blue, but look almost white.

There's a white flowering creeping thyme that is evergreen.

The creeping phlox I mentioned above is evergreen.

I doubt you are going to be able to surprise her with her plant. I think the only thing workable would be to print off pictures of all these suggestions and see if she recognizes the one she liked.

brandandli
Newly Registered

I think you are right rainbow gardener. I will print photos of the less common plants and see if it triggers anything for her. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!
Happy gardening!

Return to “Plant Identification”