benali

Building my Plant ID database

I've been posting the occasional query here for plant ID for a year and two now, hoping to learn the names of common plants in my area.

Finally, it hit me. What I need is a plant ID database, containing just the common plants I see around here. Of course, while there are good websites that ID common plants, wild vegetation is so incredibly localized it's often hard to ID your common local plants in them. So I've built my own database, just a simple directory where I place photos I see posted here. I label each photo with the name of the plant it identifies (that's the file name). I've got over 150 photos so far. Now all my friends all think I'm a plant genius, since I can ID most local plants at will (or more likely they think I'm a hopeless plant nerd, ha-ha).

I'd definitely recommend building your own plant ID folder if you want to increase your IQ about your local vegetation.

Thank you to all those who post and ID plants here.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Uh - where are YOU generally located? Even though you have Zone 5b listed, that covers a lot of ground.

Mr_bobo_

@benali check my web page and see how I solve that...
...I use free domain to create website so I can present my plants all around...

...books also help... if you can find some with common plants and names...
...I believe it exist... ;)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Pictures and information on local plants seem like such a good idea.

Early in the garden year, I'm often asking myself "what weed is this?!" I knew the name ... just 6 months ago. I don't spend anytime thinking about weeds thru the winter. Then, they show up! I'm spending hours with them. Maybe returning two or three times before the garden plants take over.

I know you are talking about native plants, Benali, but it's good to be comfortable with our weeds - ha! Cussing them out by name gives us that little extra feeling of being in control. One thing about them, they go hand in hand with our gardening and most are invasives that have followed our gardening and farming, everywhere! I have often used information from Virginia Tech (LINK). That's clear on the other side of the US! We should all have something like that handy for the natural world around us :).

Some natives, I recognize easily once they bloom. I was thinking about how easy it was for me to identify Oceanspray (Holodiscus discolor) across the river from me while I was having lunch at a park this week. It has taken real thought and effort to recognize those bushes when they are not in bloom. That's like 11 months outta the year!

Steve

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I've found the "Audubon Field Guide to Wildflowers" of immense help in identifying weeds, since they pretty much all bloom at one time or another & are thus all considered "wildflowers". The Audubon guides are nice because they use photographs instead of paintings/drawings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, field guides are really handy and helpful and there are pocket editions that are easy to take with you.

But I think it is great to make your own listing with photos of the common plants and weeds around you. It does vary a lot by locality. And having a good list of say the 50 most common plants in your neighborhood would be a lot quicker than the field guide. And in the process of making your database, you will have learned a lot (and maybe won't need it anymore :) )

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That may be true, but I really don't like to rely on my computer for everything. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I still like print books, newspapers, etc. Until it's absolutely forced upon me, you'll never find me completely engrossed in the new tech.

imafan26
Mod

It is always good to know what is and will grow in your area. Especially native plants which tend to have niches and you may not find in other parts of the country.

Most books are general or regional at best to reach the widest audience.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I don't know about that - my Audubon Wildflower "Northeast" edition has so far had everything covered that I've come across in our area.

Mr_bobo_

digitS' wrote: Oceanspray (Holodiscus discolor)
WOW! New plant for me!
Thanks!

Return to “Plant Identification”