Susan W
Greener Thumb

New greenhouse

I stumbled upon a small greenhouse at HDep, and after thinking about it, sprung. It's 5 x 6, 6.5 high. OK, small, but far more space than the 3 mini greenhouses on the deck. It must have been left over merchandise, box shop worn, and had no home as they are restocking the outdoor-garden center. Anyway, $64!

Now what?! It's too big for deck, too small to use as a regular GH. I have a couple of options for place for it, and it may need to be on ground (not pavement) to anchor and stake it down. I'm thinking it may be a good place for the perennials in pots as I clean them, and need some shelter to encourage new growth. Also many of the hardy plants in 4" pots in the mini's are ready to bump up to quarts, and they could move into new digs. OK, stop laughing as I see it filled before it's even put together....

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations!

And, Best Wishes for Productive Fun!

Is there a chance that you can set it up in front of an open door of a shed, Susan? With a south facing door, growing area can be increased. Even if it only connects to the shed (or any building) by a window, air temperatures should moderate within the greenhouse.

Steve

cn22al
Newly Registered

digits'

Any specific reason for a south facing door? Just curious!

cn

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

CN, I can make some use of my shed-attached hoop house, right inside that south facing door. Maybe, I should say "hoop house attached shed" ;).

Space is precious in protected growing and for about 3 feet into the shed, the area gets as much spring sunlight as any other part of the hoop house. It helps that the open door is nearly 8' wide. Actually, I take that door off during those months.

Of course, if a greenhouse is pushed against a building, it would be best for the shade from the building to not fall inside the greenhouse.

Steve

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This has been very good to shelter from wind, rain cool temps, direct sun. Door faces east as most wind from other directions.
Attachments
IMG_20160323_080553_592.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This has been very good to shelter from wind, rain cool temps, direct sun. Door faces east as most wind from other directions.
Attachments
IMG_20160323_080553_592.jpg
IMG_20160323_080553_592.jpg (41.97 KiB) Viewed 12632 times

Allyn
Green Thumb

Nice setup! :)

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”