mikeabraham
Newly Registered

Ideal starter greenhouse size

Hi All

I suppose its a question that gets asked a lot but, what is the best size of greenhouse to get started with growing fruit and veg and setting off seeds
Space is not an issue and you will probably say get as big as you can, but I am just starting out, would it be best to get one that is easily added to, if so, does anyone know of any with a feature like this they can recommend?

Thanks

Mike

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would suggest setting one up that is maybe 1.5 or 2x bigger than you would think was adequate. But since you are just starting out, consider building an inexpensive frame and plastic film greenhouse. Use that for a few seasons, and then begin to plan a permanent greenhouse. The trial version will give you lots of information. What size do I really need? You won't know until you start using the greenhouse and your interests evolve to maximize the use of the space. What kind of heating do I want to use? The film greenhouse will show you how difficult a greenhouse is to heat, and will force you to educate yourself on the best options. It also, may make you reconsider the size, especially the height of the space. You will learn the advantage of having both water and electricity run into the space. A greenhouse really, really needs fans and air movement. The advantage of on site direct watering capability if not obvious, will become so very quickly. What kinds of tables, shelves, benches do I want to include. Should I have a special seed starting area, with supplemental light? What storage areas are needed and where should they be placed, inside or outside? What kind of ventilation will the space need?

There is plenty to consider, and a trial with an inexpensive, temporary greenhouse will help give the answers, in front of what may be irreversible decisions. Lastly, your film greenhouse, after being replaced, could move on to serve as an unheated space for growing cool weather plants through most of the winter. Good luck with your project, I simply love my greenhouse which is about 10 feet by 24 feet and is heated with propane and has both water and electricity inside.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I agree with Alex build something small and try it out. Also get ideas from this forum by searching info on here! I myself after building several greenhouses out of just 2by 4s think that is the way to go and its cheap and quick! I like the A frame set up on a 2 foot high wood frame! border! They are super strong because of the triangle effect! By putting it on the 2 foot frame you can use 2 by 4 by 8s and have a middle of about 7foot 6 inches high! It would be about 8 to 9 feet wide and whatever length you want and you can add on easy! I could put one up in 4 hours plastic and all!

The metal ones usually require special plastic where the wood ones you can just staple the plastic and use a thinner cheap clear plastic inside that is protected by the heavier plastic outside! A 100 foot roll of 20 foot wide plastic is less than $80 and will cover plenty! I usually by the 10 by 25 4 or 6 mill at big lots or wal mart!

scottalot
Newly Registered

ImageImage

Couple of pics of our Greenhouse in the works. Inflated roof and Hurricane impact rated Glass on the bottom and sides. All of the other Glass is all Tempered Safety Glass. Got out Water and Electric tied in and Can't wait to start doing my shelvs soon.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”