Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Greenhouse inside a bigger greenhouse!

My solar greenhouse stays above 30 all winter without heat but seeds take to long to start. I had a small heat chamber but it was not sealed enough. I am going to put up a very small area greenhouse with a small 250 watt heater. If I use double plastic in the inside one I think I can maintain 60 degrees cheaply! Any suggestion?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Elliot Coleman and his winter harvest:

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/episode301

It was originally broadcast during the summer. Missed the show over the next 18 months but finally saw it recently.

Without heat, I don't think I could start seeds in my tunnel inside the greenhouse at this time of year, Bobberman. The Asian greens seedlings began to grow shortly after being sown but their growth has been very limited since. About the best I can hope for, and I think it will pan out, is to be enjoying those greens in Februrary. Of course, if they aren't outta there by the 1st of March - I can't wait any longer for them because I will have to re-install the benches, readying the greenhouse for the outdoor growing season.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Thanks digitS that's a good one and it looks like they make all of their full episodes available on the website. 8)

Good luck bobberman. Someone once mentioned using an aquarium heater to heat a water bath ABOVE which their seed flats and propagation flats sit. Also the sweat chambers that Eric/doubledog and ...was it !potatoes! ?... posted about before are like what you are talking about, isn't it?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

"was it !potatoes!"

Soil :wink:

applestar
Mod

:oops: (sorry, Soil)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It was 10 degrees last night here in Pa. My solar greenhouse stayed at 33 which surprised me .I thought it would drop below 30! My flowers from the summer are all still alive and blooming!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

A solar greenhouse doesn't work to good when the outside temp is zero. It works fine if the temp stays above 15 degrees . Now things like lettuce and broccoli work great in a solar greenhouse as long as the temp stays above about 20. This is my worst year with temp below zero a few times this year even minus 15! I would like to move from Pa. to SC.

applestar
Mod

Yeah. It's 4°F here with reported windchill of -13°F.

What are the temps like where you are -- outside and inside your solar greenhouse? Did all the water freeze? Is there any thermal benefit at all?

My unheated semi-insulated garage is reading 27°f against the insulated wall to the house just outside the insulated laundry room door where my seed starting "V8 Nursery" is. 23% RH (most of the moisture frozen out of the air I guess). I haven't started any seeds yet, but. I have rosemary, a citrus, a jalapeño, lettuce, kale, parsley, arugula, onions and garlic greens, three kinds of mint, pineapple sage and Swiss chard overwintering under the lights. Pineapple sage, jalapeño, and one of the mints (I think spearmint) foliage have succumbed since the last time the garage temps dipped down into the low to mid 20's.

Did you cover your plants in the solar greenhouse with 2nd cover of floating cover directly on the foliage or a low poly or fleece tunnel? I understand that helps during the extreme low temps.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Its zero today at 10 am wed. I am thinking of having several cold frames inside the greenhouse which will be similar to a greenhouse inside a greenhouse. The difference is the ground will keep the cold frame warmer since its closed in against the ground !What do you think? I won't be planting anything for a couple weeks!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

digitS, Nice thread.

Richard

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think Bobberman has multiple years with this scheme but after thinking about it for awhile, I finally had to try it.

Somewhere on HG, I described the need to replace the 18' bench in my greenhouse after its 15+ years of service. I replaced it with 2, 9' benches to make the moving in & out easier.

The tunnel inside an unheated greenhouse worked great! I had Asian greens all winter. They began to grow again in February and (some) were just starting to bolt when I pulled them and replaced the bench the first of March.

This time, I want to have plants at somewhat different stages of development to move in at first frost. Also, I will sow seed in succession of a week or two. Besides, I'll move the little front benches out also! Increase my growing space! Yeah.

:) Steve

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think the greenhouse is something that has not got enough attention in this age of solar power Save the suns energy or convert it into food even in the winter. If it was up to me the pipe line from Canada would have a greenhouse the whole length of the pipe line with a water pipe line inside the greenhouse! Think of the advantages and work it would create! Ya I guess I am in a dream world!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Eliot Coleman (and Sue Damroche after) got their game on from the Nearings.

I believe the Nearing's started tender plants near the stove.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”