flower2b

heating greenhouse

My husband is building my 8'x10' hooped GH. I am using 6mil UV plastic and plan bubble wrap for extra insulation inside. I want to overwinter coleus & other plants. Would like to generate heat using compost and electric heat. I have never made compost but if it saves me some money I'll try. My question, What about the smell? Suggestions please. :lol:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I might research hotbeds if I was in search of compost generated heat for some of my greenhouse warmth. Horse manure based hotbeds, are not smelly once a-cooking.

I might also look over Elliot Colmans' * Four Season Gardening for design ideas.

*Elliot Coleman was the Nearings' protege'

If you want an interesting read Google the Nearing footprint

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't compost manure, but my impression is a manure pile mixed with straw or other "browns" and maybe covered in a layer of straw will not smell if it is composting correctly.

I know from experience that a plant based compost pile, including kitchen scraps, garden greens and browns, does not smell. However, you really have to know what you are doing to get it to heat up enough for your purposes and even then it is a pretty temporary phenomenon. You would have to keep building new piles every week or two, which would mean you would have to have access to tons of materials for it.

In zone 8, it probably doesn't get that cold, so you don't need as much added heat as I would. You more need to worry about storing heat and giving it back. A couple 50 gallon drums full of water, painted black on the outside make good thermal mass (heat storage). If you have a floor in your hoop house or even just a path down the middle, make it out of slate or stone and lay it on top of plastic/styrofoam etc to insulate it from the cold ground. That then becomes thermal mass too. If your days are sunny and nights not too cold, that might be all you need.

If your days are sunny, you will need to have some way to open it up for ventilation or your plants will cook inside. Even if it is cold out, a greenhouse can get VERY HOT on a sunny day!

Good luck! :)

flower2b

Thanks rainbow, you have been very helpful with all your knowledge & tips. Each question I ask, you have an answer for me. Thanks for sharing.

flower2b

Thanks you Greener Thumb for the info. I will research "hot beds" and read that info from Elliot Coleman.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

A suggestion if you have a electric plug in the greenhouse connect a fan .Run the fan aginst the.Your 50 gallon water barrels so when the temp goes over 60 it blows against the barrels. This will aid in heating the barrels to a few degrees higher.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”