scottalot
Newly Registered

My new Greenhouse

I have spent the last few months building my new Greenhouse. I am getting very excited with it. I had a friend help design and partially build it - he was a huge help in the science behind the walls so to speak. I live in Charlest S.C. in zone 8a. We usually don't see much for freezing temps, but it does happen. My main plans for use are some year around Veg's and plant storage.

Pics to come if anyone is interested.

The Greenhouse is 12 feet wide, 16 feet deep, and almost eleven feet tall in the center. THe outside walls are almost 8 feet tall before the arch of the roof begins.

I chose to frame the structure using 1" metal conduit for the walls, 3/4" for the roof that we bent, and 1/2" to tie the roof all together. Ever intersection of pipe has been drilled and throughbolted using stainless hardware. I then wood framed the front and rear to install the door and transoms in. Working in the glass industry I had access to some very good deals and thus took advantage. The long 16 ft walls are composed of 1 5/16" impact rated insulted glass . This glass goes from 8" from the ground (sits atop a 2"x8") to about 5 ft up. Then there is 1/4" tempered glass on the rest of the walls. The front and rear is all glass and wood. For the roof I decided to go with the 2 layers of poly film that will be inflated. We spent two days clearing trees and brush from above the roof area to prevent future issues. I have run water and power out. At this point there are 3 spigots inside the greenhouse and one on the front exterior wall. I have a louvered vent in the front with a thermostat operated fan and just recently got the poly inflation fan in the mail. I can't wait to get the poly up. This weekend I installed a drip system the hangs down from the roof and has seperate valves for each watering station. Its so nice to be able to turn one 'main' valve and water everything in there.

To finish, I need to come up with a good floor ( hook and loop carpet covers the dirt for now. I also need to put the poly film up, build shelving, and all sorts of other little things. I just got a big ol' metal halide light that is great for working with light at night - not sure if it's plant suitable though..

I'm curious if anyone can think of something major I have missed? This has been a real joy to build and my family and I cannot wait to see it up and running in full force. But, this is our first greenhouse and we have sooooo much to learn. We already laugh about the future horror stories to come :) Being in our early thirties we have pleanty of time to learn and shape up our gardening skills.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I have a greenhouse,also. The main challenge is getting rid of heat, even on a day that may not be high temp but is sunny. Are there vents to open somewhere? The roof would be a good place to let heat escape.
Also moving air is important, so some sort of fan is needed.
Mine has a fan on one end to pull air out and then two vent on the sides of the opposite end where air is drawn through. There also is a ceiling fan with short blades in the center to help disperse air.(that's the original reason why they were invented.).
Have fun and enjoy.

scottalot
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply :)

I have a louvered vent on the front and back. As of now there is a 2000 sq.' fan on the front Gabel with a thermostat that automatically kicks the fan on at 80 degrees- I forsee some tinkering with the stat.
I also have screen on the front transoms, thus the glass panels can be hinged and open for extra ventilation.

Today's after work project on the Greenhouse consisted of adding a bleeder valve to the irrigation system. I thought about it and decided it would be good to be able to drain the drip lines before the cut on after sitting in the sun throughout the day. This way I don't scorch the plants with a hot blast of water.. It won't be needed for morning watering. But in the afternoon around here the water that first comes out of the hose gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch..

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”