greenthumbgardener
Newly Registered

Basement green houses

Hi all, new to the forum. Years spent in the dirt!

However I'm venturing into the slight unknown with doing a green house in my basement to start my own vegi plants for my garden when it warms up. The second reason was to keep some of my pepper plants and tomato plants going and producing thru the winter. I built a 8'L x 5'W x 6'T green house in my basement with a high output 4' 4 bulb fixture with 4 - 54watt 6400K bulbs overhead, and two 4' 2 bulb high output fixtures with 6400K bulbs mounted vertically to hit the foliage under the main canopy that will be shaded from the overhead light. There are two suspended 10 watt true tri spectrum LED bulbs w/360 and bottom light dispersal to hang in the middle of everything to further boost the lighting needed to keep the plants flowering and fruiting.

Currently only the bigger overhead lamp is on since all the plants are smaller, the other lights are for when I bring some of the plants in at the end of the season to keep harvesting from. I have a small computer fan blowing air in from the top of the enclosure, and one suspended 14'' off the floor to circulate the air inside. Since we are still in the cold months and its only about 65 in my basement I have two suspended single bulb shop fixtures with heat bulbs in them keeping things at 75 degrees.

When the plants are brought in from outside I will swap in every other 6400K bulb with a 3000K bulbs to provide the red spectrum to keep the flowering and fruiting going since red spectrum light is responsible for the hormone change in the plants to signal that stage.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions or have I covered all my bases? Thanks for any input!

applestar
Mod

Wow, it sounds like you are all geared up. :D
Looking forward to hearing how they all work out later in the season.
I have been growing tomatoes and peppers in winter with just fluorescent tubes and CFL's but not looking for maximum production, just to see how much is needed for minimum-satisfactory harvest.

If interested, take a look at my thread in Tomato forum "Winter Indoor Tomatoes" My experience with peppers is I think in Veg Forum but you'll be able to find it if you search for "Winter Pepper Torture"

What seeds are you growing now?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

The only thing I would suggest is a larger fan. I tried the computer fan thing at the beginning, but soon I realized that it was not enough wind to really help the plants. It was more of a circulating fan instead of a strengthing fan.

What are you using for propagation?

How close are you keeping your lights to the foliage?

What is your light, heat, fan schedule?

How are you watering your plants? (bottom or top watering)

I want to see pictures please!!!

here is my grow room!!

Here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJfSdzhaS8

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”