Gardener123
Green Thumb

Where to buy the heavy clear plastic?

I have a ton of PVC around my house and was thinking about making a temporary greenhouse, but all I can find at HD or Lowe's is rather thin clear plastic to wrap around the frame.... I think 9 mil..... That's not thick enough, is it?

JoParrott
Newly Registered

9 mil is very heavy- I am presently putting up some 6 mil as replacement on my little 4x6ft greenhouse and I expect it will hold up well.

Yeah 9 mil is probably overkill, especially for a temp. greenhouse. I build temporary stuff every year out of 4 and mil, and have never had an issue. I use 4 to cover my strawberry beds, and six mil for temporary cold frames.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I am using standard 4 mil painters plastic for mine, it has held up so far very well.. would 6 mil be better... yes, but for the price I can re-skin my greenhouse 4 times for the price of the 6mil UV stuff..

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I use 6 mill on the outside and a second layer on the inside od 4 mills. The 6 Mill I bought at Lowes fro 100 by 20 6 mill for around $70. Wal Marr has 6 mill in small rolls for like $15. its 20 by 15 I think. Watch what you get because some of the clear is more like a white clear and will not let as much light through! The second layer is important since it saves lots of heat! my solar greenhouse would not work without the second layer!

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Thanks..... I have yet to purchase it, so good to know now.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”