Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe gardens should be the inside of a greenhouse uncovered

Lets say you have several gardens but one is a 20 by 60 area that is actuall a greenhouse over the garden! The cover of the greenhouse comes off when frost is past and the garden produces all summer !
+++
As the fall approaches the first plastic cover is put up giving some protection against the frosty nights but not to the extent as to make it too hot! As the temp drops the second cover and the water barrels are filled to etend the crop season maybe with some crops all winter! I do some of that now but mostly in containers. Direct planting into the ground in part of the greenhouse should work. This may b a future trend as writters start to expose the advantage of solar greenhouses! The south insulated wall could be used for climbing vines! My new greenhouse for this coming year is made to work that way! Its ashame that all your summer crops are killed by one night of killing frost especially when the next month starts to get warmer!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Got my garden on one of the small solar greenhouse floors. I strained all the soil and made 3 raised beds inside the solar greenhouse last week and its looking good! I figure I will be eatting lettuce before the middle of april!

applestar
Mod

You are in good company of smart/innovative gardeners.

Have you checked out the articles for extending the seasons Johnny's Seeds website which I believe are based on Eliot Coleman's? The high tunnel on tracks/skids to be pushed along from one bed to the next is a great idea if you have large flat/level open space. -- unfortunately a much bigger scale project than I can manage, but I'd love to hear about actual experiences.

When are you going to be able to post photos? :wink:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You are in good company of smart/innovative gardeners.

Have you checked out the articles for extending the seasons Johnny's Seeds website which I believe are based on Eliot Coleman's? The high tunnel on tracks/skids to be pushed along from one bed to the next is a great idea if you have large flat/level open space. -- unfortunately a much bigger scale project than I can manage, but I'd love to hear about actual experiences.

When are you going to be able to post photos? :wink:
I still am using my web tv. Work is slow so no computer yet!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”