Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My sweat chamber is bcoming more sophistacated!

Got a nice Idea from someone on a garden forum! water storage is nice in the greenhouse because it drops and absorbes heat slowly so there are not big temp changes!
+++
I thought about heating water in the chamber but was not sure how to do it till now. a simple meathod is a aquarium heater which is cheap and very accurate. I have a 30 gallon aquarium that would wotk great which I used to demo my fishing bobber in sport shows years ago! I may even put a few fish in it! I would like to maitain a 60 degree temp in the water so the chamber stays between 40 and 50at night. & the day time is no problem!
+++
My solar greenhouse maintains a night temp at above 30 even in sub zero temp! My day temp in the solar greenhuse is 50 to 80 even in the dead winter! Any other ideas here?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hey Frank,

Here's a quote from my propagation sweat chamber topic August 2011. :wink:
Soil, Your question has been rattling around in my head for days now.

Keeps coming back, I don't know. How warm can you get aquarium water. Could I bury an aquarium under my sweet chamber to get both heat and humidity? I'm going to google aquarium heaters I'll be right back....
https://saltaquarium.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/TPheaters.htm
Ok, looks like we can get water up into the low 90F. It may take one of the larger 500w heaters. Used aquariums are easy to come by, but I'm thinking many different containers would work. I would want to make sure no nasties are released under warm conditions.
Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The quanity of the water is what means more than the temp.. My 30 gallon aquarium at 60 degrees will give enough heat off and humidity to maintain a 40 degree temp in my heat chamber at night which is fine for new seedlings at night! I am only heating a 3 deep by 6 high by 9 long insulated area that gets heat all day from the light! Thanks!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”